Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientology, Similarities and Differences

by DT 1 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

With all the media attention that Scientology has been getting recently, I thought it would be helpful to discuss their similarities with Jehovah's Witnesses. I know there are also profound differences, but it's surprising to think about what they have in common (shunning, deaths do to strange medical beliefs etc.). I would appreciate your help because I don't know a lot about Scientology. I would like to be better prepared to discuss this or write about it at my blogs.

The public has recently shown it's willingness to become outraged over some things that are also common among Jehovah's Witnesses. If we are alert to opportunities, we may be able to exploit this. A good video would be nice. (I don't have the capability to make videos, but I have a different idea that I may work on.)

• flipper
    flipper

I knew somebody who had looked into the scientologists , and was staying down there in southern California in a rented hotel which housed church members. This person told me that she got bored with the hard work the church was doing and went to the beach for a little fun. She was yelled at and ridiculed when getting back to the hotel and looked down upon for doing something " fun ".She was told that the church work was more important " busy work" , so beach visiting was not needed. Also she would make comments about how dirty the hotel rooms were they were staying in and a Scientology member would say, " Don't talk about our church being unclean like that " !

Also , I know for a fact , not only do they discourage fun like the witnesses and are paranoid about their " public perception " , they also don't believe in psychology, psychiatry, or believe people get chemical depression . They think it's all in their head- you can will it away ! So, they are like the witnesses that way too- putting down psychology. So, hoped this help a little, these are some things I've been told and made aware of

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit