Fun and games at the KH

by chicken little 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• chicken little
    chicken little

The cong I grew up in during the 70s had an exceptional elder who was born for showbizz. Our service meeting parts were sooo fantastic they would not be believed by todays automatoms. We had mini dramas to show how to use the truuth book, dressed up as Scrooge from charles dickens novel and with "ghosts" of christmas past and present to represent old religion and new. We had the laughing policeman playing and us as youngsters sitting on the platform in fits not able to stop laughing. We did sketches were hippies came in the hall (our pioneers dressed up) throwing flowers to the audience. We had a brother dress up as a vicar and give a sermon. We had dramas for kids ( my brother was a fat angel) throwing daniel into the lions den. Ohh those days were such fun. I played the part of a colporteur in the 20s tiptoeing to the back of the hall to slip a track under a door, the householder burst out and chased me through the hall with a broom....he was too quick he caught up with me and landed on top of me. The hall was in hysterics.

Well of course all good things come to an end..... our dear brother arranged a singalong,"roll out the barrel",(british drinking song) while he played the piano. We young ones were singing but the new CO was sitting at the front of the hall and his face was like thunder. Oh but it was funny. Needless to say that was the end of that period.

Must just add on a negative note we even had trial runs for the great tribulation that scared the ..... out of us. They blackened the windows and closed off the lights and we sat in the dark and then someone started banging outside saying it was the police and they were hear to arrest us. I had nightmares for years from that one. We had even brothers demonstrating reversable coats to use when under ban.

MY my how things have changed, I could write a book about all the funny stuff we did. Anybody else remember that period prior to 1975?

Love chicken little

• MMae
    MMae

Sounds like a blast! Can you even imagine anything like that today?! How unbecoming in the house of Jehovah! (Apparently, some thought so then, too!) GB just keeps squeezing their fists a little tighter.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

Wow. I wish we had meetings like that. The only thing I can remember is when my dad had a part on the service meeting and he had a few beers(read 8) @ supper before the meeting. We had a closet next to the stage that they used to simulate door to door presentations. He was the witness in this scenario and when he went to knock on the door he knocked police raid style. He pounded on the middle of the door and the damn thing literally splintered on the spot.But that pales in comparison to what you described.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

NEVER experienced anything like that I can tell you. I was only born in 76 but nothing even close.

had trial runs for the great tribulation

are you serious??? wow

• chicken little
    chicken little

Yep Loubell, but I guess the fun went out of it when big A didnt come in 75. We loved that brother and he made the meetings so tolerable. One sketch we had was to show how not to dress for the service. We had a cute chubby pioneer sister with her skirt hiked up wiggling through the aisle at the hall. We were asked what was wrong with her.....ohh the comments, not a dry eye left we were in stitches.

I think it was the humour that kept me there, people needed something everything else was just so doom and gloom.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Wilderbeerman.....great name when you think of what you wrote. He didnt take the ban on alcohol seriously then? No alcohol with meals before a meeting? NO alcohol in service? My husband was a pioneer and he was with the Co and they got invited into a nurse who offered them a drink...good little hubby said no...the Co said he would like a sherry!!!!!!!!!! haha.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Just realized that I posted this on the wrong topic section....I got carried away after reading about Fun with playstations etc. I am quite new to this posting stuff so hope you will bear with me.

Hugs chicken little

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Ted Jaracz continues sterilizing the experiences of the witlesses. Back in the 1970s, there was latitude for those doing the talks to digress a bit, putting personal experiences in the mix. Then, little by little the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger started taking all the fun out of the witless experience.

No, I never had that kind of drills. But, even since the late 1980s I have noticed the change. Events outside the boasting sessions and field circus disappeared. People are now expected to have canned presentations at the doors, and the talks are becoming even more canned. At this rate, I expect in another 5 or 10 years there will probably be fewer than 10 different experiences with these boasting sessions as one becomes essentially a clone of all of them.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

"There will be no fun in the kingdom Hall."

That is a direct quote from the bible, I forget where it is at, but the society takes this admonition very seriously. The meetings are to grind you down, not build you up.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Yes, come to think of it, I can recall the seventies at the hall more fondly than how it got later.

Even though there was the doom and gloom, I do remember it as having a much more personal feel.

Then the 'brothers' decided it was 'time to get serious' meaning: 'booooring!'

tho we never had such a riotous time as YOU describe!

WTW: OMG! "the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger"?!?!?!

That's a GOOD ONE! I like it and intend to use it.

You do come up with some good ones.

RD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit