Anyone from Hawa'ii? Big Island?

by Low-Key Lysmith 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

My Wife & I are going to the Big Island for 2 weeks beginning March 13th. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. What not to miss, what to avoid, where to fish (MOST important LOL), etc. We will be in Kapoho Bay for the first week, then off to Kona for the second.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Hapuna Beach is great.

Kailua-Kona is a great little town.

Must drive the whole Island and see Hilo and on to Kilauea Volcano.

If you have the bucks, a helicopter ride is worth it!

• orbison11
    orbison11

no, i am not,,but if you find someone who is,,can you see if they will adopt me,,,thanks

orb

• abyss57
    abyss57

I'm not from there...but ..I have had the privilege of visiting Hawaii numerous times...the last several I went to the Big Island on purpose...I love it better than any of the others!! I haven't been to Molikai yet though....Anyway....Kailua-Kona is where I prefer to go...International fishing tournements go right out of the harbor...(But the BEST fishing is out of Quepos, Costa Rica!! The 2 of us caught 9 Pacific Sailfish the 1st day out!!! average 6' to 8 '. And a Blue Marlin....350 lbs.) But...the Big Island is the most diverse of all the islands...

Kailua-Kona averages 6-10 inches of rain a year... the other side, Hilo, gets over 100 inches...you can go SNOW skiing on one end of the Island and walk up to HOT lava on the other end. The largest cattle ranch in the U.S. is in Waimea. Numerous waterfalls...Akaka Falls in Hilo is great!....But I go to the Big Island for the SCUBA DIVING...If you haven't tried it...at least go for an introductory dive....I love diving with the sea turtles and manta rays...exploring the lava tubes underwater...a bazillion tropical fish and unlimited visibility! I got a kick out of touring the Mona-Loa Macadamia nut factory not far from Kona...and the KONA coffee plant...

Sorry, I'm rambling. I love Kona...so if I can answer any questions...just PM me...Dave

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Make sure you take a drive down the Chain of Craters Road - all the way to where it ends at the lava flow that blocked the road. Stop along the way to experience the black sand beaches. They are absolutely beautiful.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Not as far as I would like to be thanks!!!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Shameless BTT. I'm really looking for some local info. I hate travelling and only seeing tourist traps!! I need the inside scoop!

Thanks, BTW, for the responses so far.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Aside from a later visit to Hilo, I only visited the island in a two-day field trip in elementary school. I went to a coffee plantation, Captain Cook's monument, the city of refuge, something up in Kohala I forgot (maybe Parker Ranch), the town of Laupahoehoe which was destroyed by a tsunami on April Fool's day in 1945 or '46, Akaka and Rainbow Falls, Hilo, and then the Chain of Volcanos road to see Halemaumau...the vistor's center I saw was later destroyed by lava...and oh yeah, definitely go to a black sand beach.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Never been to the Big Island. Only Oahu. You'll have to let me know how it is though as I'm planning my Hawaii Christmas Getaway next month.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit