PBS "The Mormons" rebroadcast Monday and Tuesday Night

by FormerMormon 5 Replies latest jw friends

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

It gave my wife (I only have 1, thank you very much) a few WTF moments when we first saw it last year. Check your local listings for times.

• Mum
    Mum

Did you find it to be accurate and unbiased? Many ex-JW's found the Knocking documentary about JW's to be somewhat sugar-coated.

Regards,

SandraC

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thanks for the info. I saw it last year, but would like to watch again. A lot of info to take in.

Hope the wife can see it again, as another dose may be just the thing.....

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

It was heavily sugarcoated.

I'm surprised that that many witnesses and the organization itself worked within the proximity as that of a known homosexual, as much as they detest them.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

I wouldn't say sugar coated, but a lot of detail has been left out. Much was hinted at, like horny Joe marrying other mens wives, without reading from these faithful sisters diaries about the sex they had with Joe and the kids they bore to him, instead of her husbands.

For a four hour program, PBS isn't doing too bad with it though. The most telling part of last night, was Dallin Oaks (an "apostle") say that it is not OK to criticize leaders of the "church" -"even if it's true". I wish they had fleshed out more of why the Mormons had pissed the Missourians off so much, namely their arrogance saying this land is zion. You have to join or leave because eventually all of this will be zion. Then they proceeded to uniformly -like the robots they are, to take over the political process. (no wonder Romney got 90+% of Utah vote.-things haven't changed)

They hinted at the rhetoric that Brigham said that lead to the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I wish they had fleshed out the rhetoric or doctrines he was teaching people at the time that incensed the mormons and enabled such an atrocity. I wish they mentioned 'blood atonement', as taught by Brigham, that some sins are soooo grievous, that the sinner must bleed out on the ground in order to be saved. So much for a supposed, all powerful atonement by Jesus that mormons say they believe in. He even taught about how the shedding of enemies, I mean sinners blood, should be done for them, with love. They were shedding/atoning their enemies blood so they could be forgiven and go to heaven. How nice, how thoughtful. Talk about killing me softly. I think had they mentioned mormon castration during the period, that would have given a clearer picture of this period called the Mormon Reformation.

Morgs on the Board, do you need references for any of this? Of course not, because the truth is afraid of questions. The truth is afraid of it's own history, it's own writings, it's own shadow. The truth could all fall apart. Truth is such a fragile thing, in Mormon-dumb.

Quandry, I appreciate your comments on another thread. Thanks. Is your wife a Morg? I was amazed. After the program, my believing wife said "well we dont know... we weren't there... we don't know how accurate any of this is. Of couse she says the same thing when I try to show her the same things in the writings of "the prophets", the Journal of Discourses, Church history, their journals etc. I can have lds books open to pages. She simply refuses to even look at them. She calls that stuff "anti mormon material", when it really is their own books, available through Deseret Book. My god, they won't even look at their own publications!!! It's amazing the grip the cult has on the minds of people.

• Scully
    Scully

During the credits last night, they said the entire 4 hour program was available to view online at http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit