The Irony: Prince Caused Religious Problems for Teenage Jackson

by GoddessRachel 7 Replies latest social current

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I just find this so ironic, don't you:

http://www.pr-inside.com/prince-caused-religious-problems-for-r430202.htm

PRINCE CAUSED RELIGIOUS PROBLEMS FOR TEENAGE JACKSON

2008-02-09 15:30:10 -

JANET JACKSON had to switch seats when she first saw PRINCE live - because she couldn't bear to watch the sexy star perform while sitting next to her God-fearing mother.
    The Nasty singer was just a teenager when she begged her mother Katherine - a devout Jehovah's Witness, for tickets to see her hero.
    Mum agreed her daughter could go to the show, but insisted on chaperoning her.
    Jackson tells Parade.com, "Being a Jehovah's Witness, you grow up in a very religious world. But, as a kid, I loved Prince and The Time - one of my favourite groups.
    "I would listen to them all the time, even though you're not supposed to do that. When I was 16, I was promoting my first album and I went with Mother to see The Time's concert with Prince.
    "I did not want to sit next to Mother because I knew they were dirty. I was trying to be cool and calm, but oh my God, I was sweating bullets: `She's going to think, Good Lord, what is my baby into? She really needs more of God in her life! Where did I go wrong?' I could just hear Mother blaming herself for everything! "Luckily, I got someone else to swap seats with me so I was able to enjoy the show." Ironically, Prince was the leading chart rival of Janet's brother Michael throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Hold on - I thought Janet WAS Michael.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I used to like her as an performer, until that stupid incident at the Super Bowl, and didn't her career fall to the ground after that .

I think they are both out of control egotists , which throws a deliberate crutch at their personality and character, even hard line religion wasn't able to help them.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I just thought it was a little ironic that as a "JW" teenager Janet Jackson went to see Prince with her JW mom, and didn't want to sit by her mom during the show because she knew it would be a show her JW mom would not approve of, and now all these years Prince is a "JW."

But maybe that's just me.

I don't think Janet and Michael are the same person.

I do think that "wardrobe malfunction" was very bad for business for Janet.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Rachel, have you ever seen Michael and Janet in the same room?

Prince wasn't a JW until 2001, so he was still doing his funky-sexy stuff in the 1980's when teenage Janet went to his concert. For a while, before Prince moved from Minnesota he toned down his act (like from an "R" to a "PG" rating). I don't know how strong a JW is he is these days, though. His 2007 Super Bowl show was more geared toward adults (to put it mildly).

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/128688/2279194/post.ashx#2279194

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Well....there's a running rumour in JW circles that the mighty prince has been df'd. As they describe it, he's been kicked to the curb.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    Well....there's a running rumour in JW circles that the mighty prince has been df'd. As they describe it, he's been kicked to the curb.

I didn't even know he was baptized. I just know JW's went gaga over the whole thing. Gopher, I know he wasn't a Witness until 2001. I just thought the article was ironic. Guess it's all a little too obscure for the general folk here.

• dinah
    dinah

If the mighty Prince has been kicked to the curb, maybe he'll get back to doing what he does best------making me horny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit