an interesting experience

by ldrnomo 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Over the last 7 years I have been helping a young man who is now 16 and whose mom is a witness. His mom has three children all different fathers the young man I have been helping had a father in prison and 6 months after he was released he was shot and killed so my young man has never really had a father.

Since I have stopped going to meetings about a year ago his fat ass mother who is basically worthless has resisted my help to her son. This young man is remarkable and has a lot of potential to suceed in life. I have been encouraging him to keep his grade point average up it's 3.8 right now so he can get a scholership and attend a good university ( he wants to be an investment banker) his mother has been totally against his being with me because I don't go to meetings. I have not been shunned and I am still in good standing with the cong I used to attend (I'm fading). So today, his mother informs him that if he keeps doing things with me, she will kick him out of her house. It's worth mentioning that she doesn't do much for him then provide him a roof over his head and a meal a day if he wants to cook it. I have been very careful when I talk to him about spiritual things never discouraging him from going to meetings or going out in the field circus. So now because of this worthless excuse for a mother this poor kid has to decide whether to keep letting me help him and be a part of his life or continue living in squaller without a reprieve and no one to count on to give him the help he needs. What a predicament to put an African American kid in when he's trying to get out of the circle of failure he has been thrown into. I'm am so frustrated I don't know what to do I love this kid and want to keep helping him but I can't do this openly with his mudder sabotaging his success. I don't know what to do next any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

LDRNOMO

• penny2
    penny2

ldrnomo, the mother has been happy for you to associate with her son despite you not going to meetings for the last 12 months. Have they had a CO's visit recently or attended an assembly?? It could be that she's paying attention to her son at the moment because of something she's read or heard but this may be a passing phase.

Ultimately, the mother has responsibility for her son and the right to set rules. I think the only option you have is to respect the wishes of the mother for now. Make it clear to the son that he can contact you at any time. Maybe after a couple of weeks, check how things are going and she may have softened in her attitude.

penny

• AuroraB
    AuroraB

Hey LD,

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but might be best to cut ties now and go help someone who actually wants--and will accept--help. Out of those who grow up in abuse and poverty, and lack appropriate role models for an actual successful life, it is a rare individual who pulls themselves up out of it. Add to that the JW mentality, and this kid has very little chance. Ask yourself what you are, in essence, asking him to give up (mother, family, friends...)it's a lot, even without JW thinking pounded into his head every day.

You've planted seeds already, I'm sure. Leave the kid with several ways to get in touch with you, give him some words to think on, and slowly pull back. He's old enough to figure out how to call you if he chooses to make a change, but he's got to choose it.

I've been in your situation several times. The harder you push, the more wrenches this kid's mom will throw into the machinery. While I'm sure parents all say they want their kids to do better than them in life, in reality, when they see their kids turn into someone completely different from them, it's very hard to sit back and watch. It's even harder to watch your child begin to understand you are far from perfect.

Good luck, and remember, this isn't your kid or your responsibility. You can only do the best that you can do, and then you have to move on to help another. It stinks, but it just seems to be the way of life.

• carla
    carla

Maybe she will be too lazy to carry out her threat of cutting off a positive influence in her childs life?

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Maybe "mom" is scared that her son will be a success.Especially if she is co-dependent with her son.By threatening him, she is revealing her worst fear --- namely, that he might leave her.

Like carla said, maybe she will be to lazy to carry out her threat.

(((hugs)))

ESTEE

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

IThanks for all the input so far:

As far as aroura's post:

but might be best to cut ties now and go help someone who actually wants--and will accept--help

I can't leave this kid now it's not the christian thing to do or my thing to do and besides, he wants me in his life. If she does kick him out of the house, then he can easily file for independence from his Mom and I can help him get welfare and find him a place to live while he finishes high school then he can go off to college and be on his own. I know I have to be very careful.

• Mum
    Mum

ldrnomo, what you are doing is commendable. Be there for your young friend, but let him take the initiative. His mother's forcing him to choose between you and her is contemptible, but he's underage and has to comply for now. He could try to become emancipated, but he would need a way to pay his own way.

His mother probably won't be there for him when the going gets tough. You will always be there to be supportive and give help when needed. The young man will figure out who really cares in time. Don't give up on him no matter what.

Best wishes,

SandraC

• cognac
    cognac

wow, that's a difficult decision. How much control over his life does she have? I mean, could he talk to you on the phone? If he left her home, does he even have anywhere to go to?

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Ok so I just wrote a long post and when I tried to submit it I got an error and it was all gone so I'll try it again

If my young friend is kicked out of his mother's house because he keeps talking to me then he can claim his legal independence from her collect welfare and continue on to finish high school and go to college in the meantime, my wife and I will talk to her brother who rents a house from us and takes in a border and see if we can get our young friend in with him. The only time now that I see him is when he needs help, a ride, some advice, etc.etc.etc. He does not attend meetings that often because his mom got a job and she's too tired to go to most of the meetings so he's off the hook for the most part I don't think he go's door to door either but we don't talk about it. I don't want to continue rambling so I'll let him say somthing through a poem he wrote last year:

I guess this is my life, dis is how it goes. Will it ever change, someday I suppose...Mother's mad at me, but can you blame me for not being sad you see....So many say they wanna work so there kids can have a better life then they had, but rarely does it happen...So many times they follow suit. Will I look back and regret the time not well spent or will I grow not carin' bout the time or where it went....Sometimes I resent but never do I hate. Other times I argue to set matters straight... She's imperfect and so am I so can I blame her for the tears I cry. Sometimes I'm so disgusted I just wanna shed my skin. I ask myself will it ever end, as much as I try I can't change her. So I gotta change within to win.... My whole life I never had a dad and blamed my mom for the stuff I never had. When he died I felt nothin but anger cause my heart wouldn't let me hurt for a stranger (or is it that it was just too much pain for me to deal with?). ... Am I just a victim of stuff I can't change or the things I do to maintain? I wish my problems would disappear like David Blane but I know that's fake, so I gotta try to cope and stay sane.... Only fifteen but got grown men's thoughts runnin through my brain. Does that make me wise beyond my years or does that mean I gotta face my fears n' dry my tears. ... It tears my heart to see how far we have grown apart but it would kill me to let you close again so I stick my heart up and keep on movin. ... Till the end I love you dearly and someday we'll be perfect and see our situation clearly. Till then I guess this is just how life is.... But when I get a family I'm not gonna say it, I'm just gonna do right by my kids and show them how I always wanted to live....

Sorry for the crazy formatting of the poem but I couldn't figure out how to get away from the automatic double spacing that happens

when you hit the enter button

like I just did

• AuroraB
    AuroraB

LD, I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I see so much of myself in what you're trying to do that I have to go into ranty, lecture-like mode—Again!

I know that as Christians, we are eager to help people. However, we have to be careful that our help takes the best form for those on the receiving end, and sometimes what we WANT to do is not what we should do.

Maybe you have first-hand experience with becoming an emancipated minor, and maybe not. But I hope you have considered all that might happen to him if he leaves his mom's house and goes off to fend for himself. What seems to be the best thing at the time can turn out to be the exact opposite.

He's got to be ready to go to court and say, on permanent record, that he would be better off without his mom. Even kids who are being physically, emotionally and sexually abused find that, at the very least, an extremely traumatic thing to do. He has to be prepared to support himself. Does he have a job that will actually pay the bills? Does he have the motivation to make it through high school and college? Does he know how to write checks and pay bills and what the consequences are if he doesn't pay his bills on time? Does he have a support system in place outside of his family, and other than you? If not, he's going to get lonely at some point and go back to his family. And you're not going to be very comfortable with that after all you've done to "help" him.

There is a serious mind-set that comes along with going on welfare. Whole generations of people get trapped in the system, and find it impossible to get out. If you are going to help him get on welfare, are you prepared to ensure he will not remain in the system for the rest of his life? Does he have the moxie to use the welfare system for what it is there for—a boost up and a way out?

More than this, are you and your wife willing to act as actual surrogate parents when he faces difficult times ahead? He'll need that. Not just a place to live, but someone who is watching to make sure he's eating right, keeping on track, not getting into debt, keeping happy. When you get the call in the middle of the night that his mother has kicked him out, will you go to pick him up and support him emotionally and financially--let him live with you until he has become emancipated and has found a permanent residence? How long will that take? Being a minor, can he choose to simply go live with you for awhile, even if his mom kicks him out? Or will his mother report you for kidnapping (which she seems perfectly capable of and inclined to do at this point)? Can you even let him live with you legally, or will he have to go into the foster care system? If he's in the foster care system, will he be placed in a family or in a group home (which might be no better than prison)? Is the foster care system safer than where he is right now? He might need money, he might need advice, he might need to live with you in the future if he can't make things work out with your brother-in-law, or even after college! He will need serious emotional support--if not therapy—so he can avoid the trappings of depression when he realizes he's lost his family, or lost a huge connection to them at the very least. It's a big responsibility; there's nothing easy about it. And if you're seriously suggesting the situation is bad enough for him to become emancipated, then I wouldn't wait for his mother to kick him out of the house. Help him now. Offer to bring him to a lawyer or to a therapist who works with children, or to social services so that he knows what emancipation involves. Or you can go without him and find out EXACTLY what he has to do, and how much involvement you would have to have. Educate him. That might let YOU know how serious he is about your help. And from what I can tell of who you are, I'm sure you'll be there for him—because helping him become emancipated and putting him on welfare is only the beginning.

There are many other solutions that might help him get through this time period without uprooting him from the only home he's ever known. This kid is 16-years-old. He has less than 2 years left to live under his mother's roof. It may be easier and wiser to help him learn to live with his mom and then get into college on the other side of the states (even out of the country) when he turns of age. Help him keep his grades up. Help him find scholarships. Help him find a good job and a car--or even help him open his own business! Teach him how to be responsible with money. Give him a way to get in touch with you without his mom knowing—a simple cell phone with text messaging should allow him to access a free email account, right? Or he could visit the library and email you from their computers. You could communicate with him that way. And keep any disparaging comments about his mother OUT of writing in case she finds the phone and tries to use it against you in some ridiculous accusation. He's black? The state and federal government will practically pay for black male students to go to college to become a teacher. In some states, they'll buy you a house for putting in a few years of teaching in the inner cities! He doesn't need a 4.0 GPA to get to college on scholarship and grants, but if his GPA is 3.8, then he has options other than being an investment banker—even if that's what he SAYS he wants to do.

When I suggest you pull back, it's for your own sanity as well as his. I've seen poems like what your friend wrote. He is obviously in a lot of pain. I've been through situations similar to yours on four different occasions, and I attacked them with the same vigor you seem to be using; having that wholesome, christian motivation to help people thrusting me forward. In two of the situations, the parents asked for help with their kids. In three of the situations, I took steps that were similar to what you seem to want to do—drastic. None of those situations turned out well, because what I didn't realize is that even when people ask for help, they are only asking you to do so much and to go so far, and anything beyond that is unwelcome--even if you feel it's necessary. I felt angry afterwards when the kids were sucked back into their families; used, like I had wasted my time (which of course, I didn't. I know I made a lasting impression on those kids even though I wasn't able to do all I wanted to--some of them have told me so). It's very painful. And the kids are worse off in the short term, not better. More than that, they tend to do exactly what they are most familiar--which is whatever their parents taught them to do. They may remember you and what you tried to teach them, but it's not always enough to get them to change tracks. When I look back, I realize that I wasn't really trying to "help", I was trying to "fix". And some things can't be fixed, just mended with the best tools we have available.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have the capacity to have thought of all of this yourself already, and I'm not suggesting that being emancipated and going on welfare will absolutely not work out for this kid. But sometimes in our eagerness to do the right thing—what many of us define as the Christian thing—we forget that we may have to do the very thing we don't want to do and just let well enough alone. Life is so rarely black and white. This kid may be asking for your help, but he's only 16 and may not know exactly what it is that he's looking for. Or maybe he's already telling you what he wants, and you're not ready to hear it. Maybe he wants to be friends with you and keep things exactly as they are (even if he says differently) and still stay with his mom. Maybe HE'S trying to pull back from you a little, and you don't really want him to because you love him, want the best for him, and don't want to lose him. Maybe you're not able to judge his situation as well as you think you can because your upbringing was just very different from his. Just because you've come to understand his mother to be "fat and worthless", I guarantee you this kid's feelings for his mother are the polar opposite from yours. You obviously do not like her at all, and maybe for good reason. This kid may be angry with her, he may even call her "fat and worthless" at times, but she's his mother and he loves her. And that love trumps everything—even good sense. I suggest you take a long, objective look at what you're trying to do, honestly look at all of the options available—no matter how distasteful they are to you--and move forward from there.

Can you tell I'm a bit passionate about this subject? :)

Whatever you decide to do, I wish both you and he the best and hope things end in a peaceful place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit