ZEITGEIST, The Movie

by Legolas 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

Have any of you seen this yet?

All I can say is WOW this is a must see......Some stuff I already knew and others I didn't.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5547481422995115331&hl=en-CA

• DT
    DT

It's an interesting video. It's funny to think about how the WTS makes such a big deal about pagan origins of things like Christmas, but ignores the fact that a good part of the Jesus story was being told by pagans for centuries before his alleged birth. I have yet to hear a convincing Christian response to this. I'm not satisfied with the explanation that Satan did it to discredit Jesus.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I've seen it before. It is jam packed with information about the origin/s of the "Son of God".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As discussed in earlier threads, almost everything it says about Horus is wrong.

Here is a listing of 10 mistakes within just 1 1/2 minutes of the movie:

1. "This is the cross of the Zodiac", 1:38. It’s actually the Greek Zodiac Wheel, but admittedly a minor error. Nonetheless, it implies a word that makes it seem more related to Christianity.

2. "Horus...the Solar Messiah", 2:57. The Ancient Egyptians did not have the word or concept of a Savior or Messiah…the movie simply adds that word on for later relationship to Jesus.

3. "Metaphorically speaking, every morning Horus would win the battle against Set, while in the evening, Set would conquer Horus and send him into the underworld." 3:10. This is not Ancient Egyptian mythology, but rather the product of Zeitgeist’s writers. Horus and Set were enemies, but there was no myth stating their battles were the daily cause of daylight and nighttime. "Metaphorically speaking" is the very nice way of saying this.

4. "Horus was born on December 25th..." 3:33. Incorrect. Horus' birth was during the Egyptian month of "Khoiak", which falls in what is now October and November.

5. "...of the virgin Isis Mary..." 3:36. Incorrect on both the name and her virginity status. In truth, Horus was born to Isis (the "Mary" seems to be added by Zeitgeist writers to make it sound like Jesus' birth), the widow of Osiris. She used her deceased husband’s phallus and sperm to conceive Horus, but there is absolutely nothing about her being a virgin; her formerly being married to Osiris shows otherwise.

6. "...three kings followed to adorn the newborn Savior" 3:42. There is no evidence in any of the birth stories I've found for any kings visiting or adorning the child; in fact, Horus is born as a falcon and flies away. As we all know, it's hard to catch a falcon to adorn it. It's also worthy to point out...again...that the concept of a "Savior" was not part of Egyptian Mythology.

7. "...at the age of 12 he was a prodigal child teacher..." 3:47. He was quite a kid but I have found nothing about Horus as a "teacher" of anything, let alone at age 12.

8. "...at the age of 30 he was baptized..." 3:50. The Egyptians did not "Baptise" anyone. That term is obviously Christian and it's application to Egyptian mythology is grossly misled. All of the information I can find about this also cites some of the above facts I've debunked as true, and I've found nothing to indicate Horus was dunked in water of any kind from any actual reputable source.

9. "...Horus had 12 disciples..." 3:53. Horus had four disciples/ followers, not 12. They were called the "Heru-Shemsu" if you want to look it up.

10. "...(Horus) walked on water..." 3:57. Horus never walked on water. This appears to be nothing short of a Zeitgeist made piece of fiction.

I could add to this listing countless other errors and fallacies in the religious section, such as the silly attempt to etymologically link the name "Horus" to the word "horizon" and replace "son" with "sun" (a homophony that only exists in English), the lie that Horus was believed to have been crucified, buried for three days, and resurrected, the false claim that Horus was the Egyptian sun god (as opposed to Re and the Aten), etc. etc.

People only swallow this nonsense because Egyptology, ancient history, and biblical studies are arcane subjects, the details of which aren't generally known.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In other words, in the style of Ebert and Roeper:

Two thumbs WAY DOWN.

My recommendation is to go to good library and read up on these subjects in peer-reviewed journals, or academic/scholarly works. Or use "Google Scholar", if you have access to these e-journals. Pop, pseudohistorical stuff like Zeitgeist may be exciting and interesting for the novice, but laughable to those who actually know a bit about these subjects. As usual, don't just take someone's word for it because it is on the internet.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

You should send the makers of the film some of your talent for these things and maybe they mat take some sujestions and make an improved version. I'm serious I wish they would get the WTC out all together or use it but give less mention to conspiracy thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit