Way O/T - Steve Allen's Meeting of Minds

by Makena1 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Makena1
    Makena1

Does anyone remember seeing Steve Allens PBS series - Meeting of Minds? He brought in actors to play various characters from history all sitting down together to discuss a topic. People like Martin Luther, Voltaire, Marie Antonette etc. The writing was usual Steve Allen brilliant.

I have tried searching everywhere to see if VHS tapes of the series are available for sale - but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Wish I would have had a VCR back then when it first aired on TV.

Almost forgot - anyone remember Fractured Flickers? Old silent movies set to new comic dialogue. One of my fav's was a remake of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" - the fractured flicker title was "Dinky Dunston - Notre Dame Cheerleader".

Makena
    showing my age a bit.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember this brilliant series (Meeting of the Minds)! It was sure enjoyable, thanks for bringing it back to memory.

I went to Yahoo! shopping to see if there were any tapes available. There are 3 videotapes (2 shows each), however they are not stocked any longer.

I wonder if your local PBS station could help you. Or if you're ever in Chicago or New York, each city has its Museum of Broadcasting, complete with a library of vintage TV footage on videotape. You may call those museums and see if they have any episodes of this series.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I suggest you try the Signals catalog; they sell PBS-related stuff and I think I saw this series listed at one time.

Let us know if you find it. I don't get the catalog any more so I don't know what's current.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Thanks so much for the replies - will check it out and let you know.
    I did email the local PBS Channel 9 store - they did not have any copies.

Best regards,
    Mak

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Makena,

Was impressed that you knew of Steve Allen and his show. He was really quite brillant, far beyond what most folks have any idea of. Wrote hundreds of great songs, was a brilliant comedian, musician, AND did this Meeting of the Minds series. Also wrote fiction and non-fiction, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, Allen was also an atheist. Here was a man who truly knew how to live and think. Good luck on your search for these tapes.
    S4

• Mum
    Mum

PBS has a catalog of videos. I know I have had it in the past, but I don't have a current one with the address. Did you check their site at pbs.org or use a search engine to find some info?

• Mum
    Mum

PBS has a catalog of videos. I know I have had it in the past, but I don't have a current one with the address. Did you check their site at pbs.org or use a search engine to find some info?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Makana1,I remember that show,the tv station that might have the answer for you would be KVOS tv channel 12,its a US channel.Hope that helps...OUTLAW

• Makena1
    Makena1

Finally found what I was looking for on Jayne Meadows (Steve's wife) website. Ordered a copy of the two-volume vhs set.

Here is the link for anyone interested:
    http://www.celebritiesdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

All best,
    Mak

• Makena1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit