Can you ans: Are you a member of an Org that inhibits Constitutional rights

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

A question on a recent application that my husband filled out for a state job, substance of question was: 'Are you now a member of or have any affiliation with any organization or association that inhibits you or prevents others from the practice of their Constitutional Rights?' While JW membership is essentially voluntary, when you think about it, in what ways do their rules impede the Constitutional and Civil rights of its members?

Their Anti-gun/Anti-every-form-of-self-defense policy is one.

(btw-this question was the last straw of decision to send our DA letter months ago--we realized that to qualify for the position he wanted, his stance had to be taken.)

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

JW's aren't allowed to vote. I see that as a violation of my civil rights.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    A question on a recent application that my husband filled out for a state job, substance of question was: 'Are you now a member of or have any affiliation with any organization or association that inhibits you or prevents others from the practice of their Constitutional Rights?'

Pioneer Spirit, why are they asking this question? Is it to see if the applicant has had their rights inhibited, or is it to see if the applicant has "guilt by association" with a group that prevents people from enjoying their rights as a citizen?

• choosing life
    choosing life

That is an unusual question for employment. Never heard it before. The jws certainly do restrict their member's constitutional rights.

1) They don't allow members to vote.

2) They don't allow members to choose their health care independently.

I'm sure there are many more examples, like choosing to serve in the defense of their country, as you mention. They say you choose these restrictions voluntarily, but they would have to remove all sanctions for doing so to make that a true statement.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

That is a very odd question. We all have to give up our constitutional rights at times to get along in society.

You want to go to college? Well, just try to bear arms on campus and see what happens!

Want to keep posting on a message board? Better keep your comments acceptable to the board owner!

I think it's a dumb question.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Alot of police departments ask similiar questions like this in their applications. I guess a good JW could always use "theocratic warfare strategy" but then again a good JW wouldnt be applying for a police officer position.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

The right to bear arms. (welcome to the USA) The right to vote. The right to proper health care including life saving blood trans. The right to have an operation close to home with out going across the country to some bloodless surgery center. The right to have a car with 2 doors. (Jeep)

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

'State job' or 'police department' application. . .as a few have said, in either case a person may not be able to fully carry out the duty to protect the freedom of others if that person was a member of a group whose precepts prohibit the exercise of Constitutional rights, hence that is why the question was on the app.

It was eye-opening to be asked that question, for that is the case of JWs. As I said, it prompted us to remit our DA letter, just like when our parents left the Catholic church they wrote a letter so that they would be free of any such ties and be 'whole-souled', so did we.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit