January 20, 1985 SUPER BOWL The Day Montana became Almighty God

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I was living up in Federal Way, WA back then. I remember that Sunday afternoon meeting was memorable. not because the material was interesting, or even poignant. Not because the Speaker was gifted and knowlegable. Not even because the watchtower had some especially yummy spiritual food at the proper time. What stood out to me then, and still does today is how fast the whole afternoon went by.

We came in and were told to sit down asap.

No pre meeting talking was allowed this day.

We began the meeting ten minutes early.

The speaker read three scriptures and never asked the group to read any.

He wrapped up his rushed talk in about 25 minutes. That means he was done by 2:15 PM!

Another song was played and there was no reading of the watchtower.

One answer was accepted for each paragraph with no elaboration offered by the conductor.

No kids were called on to answer any questions.

The wt study ended at 2:45 PM

Another song and a quick prayer and we were all on our way out the door led by the rushing wt conductor about 1 hour after we were told to sit.

Not bad! Too bad Montana wasn't winning a game every sunday! I sort of liked the times.

And these are the guys appointed over us as shepherds, who have an accounting to make?

What hipocrites!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ahhhh come on. Poor guy. He wanted to be normal that day, that's all. And he was fortunate enough to be able to make it happen. As a Niner fan who lived in San Francisco during those best of times, I can't blame him

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Ahhhh come on. Poor guy. He wanted to be normal that day, that's all. And he was fortunate enough to be able to make it happen. As a Niner fan who lived in San Francisco during those best of times, I can't blame him

It's not him I am really irked at. No one complained that day, so I guess we all really wanted to go watch the game. My sore spot is the hypocrisy of it all. Had this elder not been interested in the game and I had snuck out early to catch it I can bet my shorts that I would have had a talking to and probably had to start a study with an elder. To reevaluate and correct my spirituality....They are so lame.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

For some reason, the PO wants to stick it to his underlings. On the west coast, the Super Bowl is going to start at 3pm.

The elders' meeting is scheduled for 3pm, even though the Sunday meeting lets out at noon.

Sucks to be an elder!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Damn. So what's the deal? Are they so afraid of anyone enjoying life? I guess if you actually get anything out of this life, you won't be so all fired anxious for the "next" one.

• wokeup
    wokeup

I remember that game well, a former classmate of mine ,Carl Monroe scored the first touchdown for the 49er's. I was about a mile from Standford University and could hear the crowds cheer while watching the game on tv.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit