The NY Times considered apostate literature by JWs? My parents think so.

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I tried to make nice and leave religious discussion out of things. However, I found a NY Times article about the Bossert going on the market and I sent them the link, thinking they'd simply find it interesting, as I did, with NO comments from me, just the link.

The article cites the age and history of the Bossert, calling it the 'Waldorf-Astoria of Brooklyn' and does suggest potential for great profit on it sale. I found it interesting that it says that it was built in 1909, the same year that JWs set up shop in Brooklyn. History. The article was not negative at all toward JWs.

They replied in very large caps: WE DIDN'T KNOW YOU READ THE NY TIMES. AND WHAT, THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND DO WHAT WITH IT? READ THIS AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR 'FRIENDS'. attached a link that I didn't look at. . .

Apparently, anything on the internet offends JWs and may be apostate.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

A little sensitive, I would say.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I'd have thought that they'd considered the article a FAVORABLE one.

In any event, they too have the Internet -- and if they're sophisticated enough to send you link, surely they would know how easy it is to read ANY major newspaper on the Net.

I'm curious about that link they sent you. We've had fun here with such pro-JW propaganda. Wanna have some fun with it? Your parents practically begged you to send it to us.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Neat: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/nyregion/30hotel.html?ref=nyregion

Sorry about the grief you got.

I have to be careful too because I forward things I learn on JWD to people who know I'm 'spiritually weak' and they wonder how I found the things out.

Happened with the molestation settlement. Sent it to in-laws and they immediately questioned me where I got the info. I said Yahoo! news. Whew!

Oh well!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

My understanding is that they started treating newspapers, magazines, and TV news reports that have anything neutral or negative about the witlesses the same as they treat apostate literature. If the report cannot be used to further their position, do not read it. They have been doing that for some time, but it got worse last fall after the Sept 2007 Kingdumb Misery crackdown on using independent sources.

• fokyc
    fokyc
    Apparently, anything on the internet offends JWs and may be apostate.

That is perfectly true, I obtained some information from jw-media.org

When I showed it to the elders, they went mad;

information is totally wrong and is 4 years out of date at least, (They say)

When I telephone the branch, they tell me the information is perfectly correct and valid today.

If the WTBTS sites are apostate it leaves little hope for anyone else.

Mystified

fokyc

• blondie
    blondie

Yet, they still watch television on a regular basis, a definite satanic hellhole, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit