Danish crime series begins with apparent shunning of a young mother, returning home after two decades

by FatFreek 2005 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    I began watching a well-reviewed crime series -- dicte -- in streaming Netflix last night. Although it is compelling, the audio was in Danish and was close-captioned into English. I didn't complete the first episode because watching cc is too laborious for me. I thought, however, that some here at our forum -- especially those who understand Danish -- would probably enjoy it.
    The series opens without dialog in a scene from a hospital room where a young woman gives birth while her un approving mother looks on. In short time the child is wrested from the mother's arms and taken away. The next scene shows this mother years later approaching what appears to be a Kingdom Hall where a stream of people are entering, this woman calling out to an older couple, addressing the woman as "mother" (in Danish). The couple turns to her, but quickly turn away in true shunning fashion and enter the building and latching the door. The young woman, dicte, emotionally torn, is shown tearing off some of the lettering on the building's outside -- lettering which translates into Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Dicte, now a professional journalist and an impulsive, temperamental and the loving mother of Rose, her daughter, who is almost 18, grew up in a community of Jehovah's witnesses, but ran away from home at the age of 16 after being forced to give away her newborn son for adoption. Today her existence is ignored by her parents whose religious upbringing has had huge influence on Dicte.
    As more sides to Dicte are being gradually revealed, a completely different aspect transpires to have had a massive effect on her life – the son she was forced give away for adoption. When Dicte moves from Copenhagen and returns to her hometown Aarhus, it is not only to get as far away from her ex-husband as possible. She is also driven by the wish to find her son.
    Dicte Svendsen is played by Iben Hjejle who graduated from The Danish National School of Performing Arts in 1996.
    The above is a loose paraphrasing of a document written by Dorte W Høgh and Ida Maria Ryén in 'Dagbladet', Tuesday 18th December 2012. The paper was especially made for the Danish premiere of Dicte.
    It appears on the internet at http://www.visitaarhus.com/ln-int/aarhus/who-dicte
    Len miller
  • Virran
    Virran

I just saw the whole series on Netflix the other week. Someone in a Swedish ex-JW forum mentioned it (I'm a swede living in the US) and that it gave some negative comments about Jehovah's Witnesses. The combo crime + Scandinavian is irresistible to me so I had to watch it and I loved it. Very good. Even though I do understand a lot of Danish I was glad it had the English subtitles, some words and expressions are totally foreign to me.

And yes, the JWs didn't look too good in it. Dictes JW parents forced her to give up her baby she had when she was just a teenager. They hid her pregnancy and all for the elders just to hide the fact that their daughter was "immoral". But she could never forget her son and without telling too much she does get to meet him later in the series, as a grown young man.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Thanks, Virran, for your first-hand observation. Hmm ... I might change my mind on watching. After all, I watch and love many of the BBC series and I always use CC for those because there are some phrases and words that I need a bit of help on.

Len

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Fatfreek, I watched the whole series Dicte not too long ago. It is well worth watching. Season 2 gets into the blood transfusion issue. .

I like sub-titled shows - I can read faster than the actors speak and it leaves me time to look at the sets and pay attention to the camera cuts. :)

• gone for good
    gone for good

Thanks Len and Virran -

I'm with OrphanCrow on the sub titles.

I often prefer shows with subtitles as the European acting and directing are magnificent - far better than Hollywood .

Getting hard of hearing so even the great BBC English language shows are getting tough without subtitles.

I hope this show becomes available in Canada or iat the library.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have watched the first season of Dicte and I am looking forward to the second season .I am in Australia .

Sub-titles do not worry me in the least , European shows tend to be a bit more realistic than their Hollywood spin-offs , e.g. Homeland / Prisoner ,Israeli ,etc.

smiddy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I just stumbled across this on Netflix. I hadn't seen this thread, so it was a bit of a shock to see the shunning scene in front of the kingdom hall. It's not a bad show, I don't mind subtitles at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit