Any architects, designers, or contractors here?

by frozen one 7 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

I'm sick of my bathroom and want to remodel it. Does it pay to have a professional architect design a rehab or should I just go to Home Depot with the dimensions and use their computer to lay it out? The space is pretty small for a bathroom and I'd like to maximize the use of space so I'm thinking a professional consultation would be in order. If I redo the bathroom I thought I would change a closet into a laundry using a stackable washer/dryer as it makes no sense to drag my clothes from the second floor to the basement when I want to do a load. That means the electrical would have to be redone as well as the installation of venting and maybe a gas line if the dryer is gas. Any idea what having a pro draw up the plans would cost? Maybe I should just have a contractor come over and look at it and write the checks. Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

• mann377
    mann377

I've been a contractor for 26 years and done a lot of bathrooms.

1. The first thine I would do is to extablish a budget, as how much you want to spend.

2. The next thing is to make alist of whats important to you with a bathroom, such as larger vainty or type of bath tub.

3. Then find out if you have room for the items that you want to install. This is both square footage and electrical service. You can go to Home Depot etc. and look and measure some of their items.

4. What type of finishes are you expecting? Tile can cost $1/sqft and up. (My last client went to China and bought tiles for her "special" bath. This went with the $15,000 tub and the $1300 sinks and $800 shower head. She ended up spending $145,000 for the bath) Not that this is normal but she got carried away once the project was underway. She only planed to spend $45,000 originally.

5. There are a lot of good guides on bath design that can be accessed. A good design will have basic dim. requirements for different fixtures, such as a toilet should be 18" from the center line to wall and have a minimum of 22" in front. If a handicap person will use the toilet then the handle should be located away from the wall. It might sound funny BUT toilet manufacturers have a test with solid matter such as putting sausages and ping pong balls in and seeing if it will flush. Go to TOTO toilet fixtureweb site for a full explantion of this (Americam Standard also has this) Although this sounds funny I have alot of clients that do a lot entertianing and can not be bothered with a pluged up toilet! So they demand the best.

6. Shower valves should be equiped with anti scald valves.

7. I like levers in lieu of knobs on all valves.

8. Floor: tile needs to be stiff. The tile manufacturers require L/600 for floor stiffness. This is hard if you have an old house with wood framing. If you insist then get small tiles (4 1/4) and install with a latex modified grout. Also floor tile is not wall tile, floor tile should have a rough texture!

9. Lighting: Have the light switch also turn on a vent fan. Task lighting above vainty should be such that it will reflect the type of lighting you will be seen in (color spectrem)

10. If you have an old person living in the house and they will be using the bath then by all means have the door open out from the bath, so that if they should pass out they will not block the door.

I hope I have not bored you to much as I could go on, but after all these years............................yikes

--

• frozen one
    frozen one

Thanks mann,

145K for a bathroom! Your could buy my whole house for less than that.

The space I have to work with is about 64 sqft. Pretty small. I could expand into the adjoining bedroom's closet space but I don't really want to sacrifice that room's closet. There is a hall closet that can be taken over though. My house is almost 100 years old. The heating system is hot water, which is wonderful, so that would have to be modified and rebalanced. I have even thought about moving the bathroom to the back bedroom and converting the bathroom to a walk in closet off the master bedroom. That would be quite spendy for this house. Overall I'm thinking more along the lines of $15-20K so that would get me what, a bucket to poop in and a cattle trough for Saturday night baths? I think I'll end up consulting a professional designer and go from there.

Thanks again for the insight.

• rekless
    rekless

go to HGTV.com they have design tools for each room. It is free.

To keep it simple; keep your tub, sink and toilet in the same area--you can build around those areas while upgrading those fixtures..

You can upgrade the flooring, electrical, and millwork and cabinets.

I was a license building contract in California.

• BIG D
    BIG D

I am a licensed builder and designer for 29 years, hire somebody!!!!

big d

• logic
    logic

Avoid structural changes. If you keep the same footprint of your existing bath it will make things a lot less expensive. Adding the laundry area will cost you dearly. Any new fixtures should be the same diminsions as your existing. The best money you will spend is on a very good contractor. If your ideas get too complicated he will probably recommend a bath designer. Make sure what your local building department requires. Some do require an engineered plan if you make any structural changes. Your two biggest problems will be the new plumbing and electrical for the laundry room. The area may require a dedicated circuit for the washer and the dryer. Know your contract. Don't leave anything out that you want done. Know the contractors inclusions and exclusions. Baths and kitchens can create the most problems in remodel.

• Alex Delta
    Alex Delta

A bathroom can be done cost effectively and turn out beautiful if nothing moves, such as where your plumbing or electrical fixtures may go. Move any of these things around especially your plumbing and your costs may rocket because you should diffidently hire a contractor if you don't know what your doing. If your a behind the desk type of person who doesn't know much of construction, yes you to can tackle this project but moving any fixtures this time around is not recommended. Baby steps is key to construction, like everything, its the practice that makes perfect. Home depot or any good reputable supply house will be a great help, but be sure to understand that many of these people think there know it alls and may lead you the wrong direction to thing's. Don't be afraid to politely ask them for credentials, or you can weed them out by asking them general questions that you can come with after your own research on how your going to approach your project, and that goes for sales rep to contractors. I would also definitely suggest you really take your time on all aspect of the project especially if its your first. The gratification that comes from a great job is really rewarding especially on your own home. I'd also be extremely cautious on the project because every time your using your new bathroom, the flaws may haunt you, at least thats what it would do to me. I wish you the best and am sure if you take this advice you will do just fine.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Thanks for the great replies. This wouldn't be the first project on my property. I've learned from past experience that remodeling is a pain. When I did my kitchen I had dreams about woods, hardware, colors, styles, appliances, etc. An endless number of combinations. I was very happy with the way it turned out but I'm easily pleased.

I am a licensed builder and designer for 29 years, hire somebody!!!!

I agree totally with this. I could probably do most projects myself but I don't want to live in a construction zone for weeks and weeks. I'd rather hire someone and have it done in a few days. Maybe my best option is to sell this house and buy a complete upgrade. Then again, I really like my current payment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit