Important enuf 4 a thread of its own. . .Dad's comment about shunning rule.

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Me again, about something I said to my dad today (I posted about the conversation a bit ago). When he was saying his goodbye because out of loyalty he has to treat me like a disfellowshipped one. . .

I said, 'Well, maybe they'll change that rule.' He said, 'You can't criticize the GB for changes and new light we have.' I responded, 'I'm not criticizing, I mean it, maybe they'll change that rule and we can all be friends again one day.' He said, 'Well maybe they will, and then things will be different.'

If anyone wants proof that JWs acknowledge that shunning their family is a man-made rule, here it is.

BAH!!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

You must be a spineless , balless jellyfish if you let a real estate corp tell you whom you are allowed to talk to. Brainless too! People-give your heads a shake!!!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> I'm not criticizing, I mean it, maybe they'll change that rule and we can all be friends again one day

You never know, that may well stick in his head. "Maybe they'll change that rule"... "Maybe THEY'LL change that rule"... "THEY made the rule, and they can change it"... "it's a 'they' rule, not a 'god' rule"...

I know it's asking alot, but it's a fairly easy slope to slippery one's way down.

Good luck!

Dave

• journey-on
    journey-on

They have a simple choice. They don't have to think about it. They don't have to do the hard research to discover the truth. They are not

interested in that, even when it means they may be abandoning a relationship with their families needlessly. They simply have to do what the

WTS tells them to do and hold onto their faith that Armageddon is coming soon and everything will be okay.

If they can convince themselves that this lifestyle is THE TRUTH, then they avoid the work it takes to find real truth and the heartache that sometimes

comes upon finding out that it was all a waste. Just as the Bible says: eating and drinking and marrying and giving in marriage....This can just as easily apply to these

types of JWs. They don't want to rock the boat by FINDING OUT, because once you KNOW, your whole world changes and for some people

that is just too much to bear!

There are two kinds of people: red pill people and blue pill people.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

AA is right. "it's a 'they' rule, not a 'god' rule"... . Dare I say it's a worldly rule. Not a bible rule. Isn't the WT on this earth. Does not that make the WT worldly?

• journey-on
    journey-on

But to them, it is not a worldly rule. To them, if it came from New York, it's a God Rule because in their minds FDS = God. It doesn't have to be in the Bible.

So if the GB/FDS says it is so.....IT IS SO. Simple....don't think about it...just do it.

• wings
    wings

But to them, it is not a worldly rule. To them, if it came from New York, it's a God Rule because in their minds FDS = God. It doesn't have to be in the Bible.

So if the GB/FDS says it is so.....IT IS SO. Simple....don't think about it...just do it.

So sad.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    'Well, maybe they'll change that rule.' He said, 'You can't criticize the GB for changes and new light we have.' I responded, 'I'm not criticizing, I mean it, maybe they'll change that rule and we can all be friends again one day.' He said, 'Well maybe they will, and then things will be different.'

Actually they did have "new light"™ on the disfellowshiping rule around 1974 or so.They said there was no need to be so harsh and act like a bunch of Pharisees on the issue so they would "allow" social interaction with DF'ed persons (relatives) as long as no religious things were discussed and it was kept just to personal matters. They quoted scripture and everything to back their statements up.

Then came the 1981 hard line stance again against family relationships and it has been that way ever since. They quoted scripture and everything to back their statements up. This flip flop on the issue was a big part of the reason I walked out the door (literally) of the local K.H.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My dad full shunned me the last 12 years of his life and he fractionally shunned me the last 33 years. I finally accepted that I was not important to him. His whole life was a lie and he was pissed that I wouldn't join him.

He got everything he wanted in 2007. He hated this world, he wanted pain eliminated, and he didn't want to get older. He's out of this world, he won't have any more pain and he won't get any older.

We're very different. I like this world, I accept pain as a necessary part of life, and I want to keep getting older. I like living a life grounded in rational reality. I didn't enjoy that time trying to function in a religious fantasy. It was too weird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit