Victims of Foreclosure and their pets

by oldflame 7 Replies latest social current

• oldflame
    oldflame

I had a hard time stomaching this, just made me sick that someone could do this to a helpless animal. If you know someone who is loosing their home please offer to take their pets even if it is just a short term.

by Mira Oberman Fri Jan 25, 9:26 AM ET

CHICAGO (AFP) - Forget about the lost furnishings and finances, the most pitiful victims of the subprime mortgage crisis rocking the United States are the family pets.

Shelters across the country have seen sharp upticks in the number of people giving up their pets in recent months because they have been forced out of their homes.

And -- more tragically -- neighbors, police and foreclosure agents are finding increasing numbers of pets left to fend for themselves in abandoned homes.

"We're finding too many animals who have starved to death," said Stephanie Shain, director of outreach for the Human Society of the United States.

While some people dump their pets on the street, others go so far as to lock the animal in a closet where their cries for help are harder to hear, she said.

It can take weeks for an animal to starve to death and desperate scratch and bite marks are usually found on doors and windows.

"They will eat anything -- furniture, or carpet or wallboard -- to try to ingest something," Shain said in a telephone interview.

"It's a very fearful and frantic and panicked situation for that animal to be in."

While there are no national statistics tracking how many animals are abandoned or dropped off at shelters, Shain said anecdotal evidence has shown "huge spikes" in areas hardest-hit by the housing downturn that shows no sign of easing.

Nearly two million families lost their homes to foreclosure in the first 11 months of last year after failing to keep up with mortgage payments, a hefty chunk of which were subprime loans.

That's an increase of 73 percent compared to a year earlier and represents one out of every 63 households nationwide, according to RealtyTrac which tracks mortgage data.

The Humane Society recently instigated a public-awareness campaign to offer tips on finding animal-friendly rental housing and remind people that pets are much better off in a shelter.

In one of the more shocking stories, more than 60 cats were found abandoned in a foreclosed home in Cincinnati last May, shortly after the foreclosure rate began to spike nationally.

Twenty of those cats are still being fostered while awaiting a permanent home, according to Foreclosurecats.org, a group which launched art projects to help finance the cost of caring for the kitties.

Most are not as lucky. Shelters across the country are habitually overcrowded and underfunded. Even animals which stand a good chance of being adopted are often euthanized in order to free up much-needed space.

That's why one pet rescue group which used to only deal with finding homes for hard-to-place strays has started temporarily fostering the pets of owners in distress.

"Most of the calls we get are from people who really want to keep their pets," said Melanie Roeder, the outreach manager at Chicago's Tree House Animal Foundation.

"We try to counsel them and talk about the idea of fostering, or finding a place on their own."

The group took in the cat of one woman who only needed a few weeks to find a new place to live and is open to helping others.

For others who are not able to find such a quick fix, saying goodbye is the only option.

"It's pretty traumatic for everybody, especially the kids," said Terri Sparks, a spokeswoman for Chicago's largest shelter, the Animal Welfare League .

"It's part of the family and they have no other options ... people are telling us we're losing our home and have to move."

While moving has always been one of the top reasons why people give up their pets to shelters, Sparks said more people started mentioning foreclosures a few months ago.

About 15-20 foreclosed families are now coming into the shelter every week with their pets, and police bring in two or three pets a week found abandoned in foreclosed homes.

I love animals I could never do this. I will not even live somewhere that I could not have my cat. I'd rather live in a tent !

• avengers
    avengers

About a year ago I tried to rescue 4 cats in back of a house that was being demolished. The people who lived in the house moved and left the cats.

Two of these cats were diagnosed with FIV, the equivalent of AIDS in humans.

The 2 others were kittens who were really sick with some kind of sneezing disease. One was so bad I had to leave it with the vet.
    She worked on that poor baby for months before he finally recovered.

The other kitten recovered quickly and lives with me. She's the most beautiful cat. She gives me so much back.

The bill I got was around 1000 euros; appr. 1200 dollars.

That was about all the money I had. The "taxman" wanted money. I spent it on the cats.

They are still after the money. They'll get it. There's no way I will let animals suffer so the government can get theirs.

It's just another fact that the government doesn't give a hoot about us or animals.

I care and will keep fighting for a better world.

Andy

• oldflame
    oldflame

Avenger,

You are a compassionate human and one after my own heart. God Bless you.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I've taken in 2 stray cats in the last 2 years!!! I just can't sit back and watch when any animal or person is hungry! I can't believe the rising cost of dog and cat food, though. I've been fortunate to get rebates and coupons and that has helped a lot.

I can not imagine how anyone can just leave their pets in that condition! I couldn't sleep at night!!!

Swalker

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

That was a sad report....I have had pets in my life almost my whole life. Dogs and cats... I had gone 2-3 years without anything until last Saturday, when I adopted a kitten from the local shelter....she is 5 months old, brown tabby..if I can get her to hold still long enough (and not sleeping on my chest), I will post a pic....

I dont know my kitten's history or how or why she ended up at the shelter.. She was in pretty good shape, except for ear mites (which the vet took care of), and a bit of a cold. .I just know I couldn't leave her there another day. I cannot imagine the pain if I had to give her up. I certainly would not leave her helpless in the house alone.

Who can know the desperation of these people? It doesn't make it right. Try not to judge too harshly. They may not have known where to take their pets...or maybe there was no place to take them.

My kitten has helped fill a tremendous hole in my life.....between my fiancee splitting up with me after 8 months and the split (shunning) of the majority of my JW "friends" in 07, it's nice to have a non judgmental animal to provide companionship....she is asleep in my chair in the living room now...all curled up and content....I am sure glad to be out of her shelter cage.

Snakes ()

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I love Animals-----I don't like when people mistreat Animals. Renter are good for leaving Animals behind.

My cat was put in a conyon with her 5 kittens to die. PEC found them.

A skunk sprad them all, I brought them in my home ,I had to give them baths.

I got homes for the Kittens and I kept the Mother. My cat is a little lighter in color.

alt

• Mary
    Mary

Oldflame, I couldn't even read your post. I hate cruelty to animals and I'm an avid cat lover. How anyone could leave their pets behind, or mistreat them is beyond me.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I can relate. My wife & I had been renting the same house for the past 4 years. Our landlord, a complete dick, decided on the 10th of January that he wanted to sell the house. He gave us 20 days to vacate (which, unfortunately, is legal in the state of Washington). it took us 14 of those 20 days to find a place that would take our beloved cat & dog. (We found a really nice house, BTW). The struggle was more than we had bargained for. We even took our dog, Ronin with us to meet prospective landlords. Every one of them said that my dog was too big. (He weighs about 45 lbs.)

The thought never occured to us to get rid of the pets. They are family. Ronin has been through thick & thin with me for the past 11 years, always there when I needed a friend. I could never think of abandoning him, no matter how bad things got. I cannot fathom how someone could just leave an animal locked in an empty house to starve to death. There needs to be stricter penalities for animal cruelty & neglect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit