Here's a crazy thought

by JBean 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JBean
    JBean

In reading recent threads from Scumgrief and YoYo... they are happy and active and are defending the organization. I just had a thought of what Jesus said that in coming to him and the TRUTH, one might lose brothers or sisters or mothers, etc., but in doing so, they would gain him and an abundance of other "family". (Paraphrased of course!) Now, when someone becomes a JW, they don't necessarily lose family members or friends. Their families and friends might think they've become a bit 'batty', but they are usually (may happen in some cases) never shunned. Now, when someone chooses to leave the JW's... NOW we're talking major losses! These souls DEFINITELY lose their relatives/friends... even if they still love God and Jesus. So... I'm not drawing any conclusions here... but I'd love some thoughts on this. Are we meant to make our way OUT of the Borg and TO Jesus? SO what is the truth? (Am I making any sense here??? I hope I typed this correctly!) : )

• mindfield
    mindfield

[QUOTE]Am I making any sense here??? [QUOTE]

No.

• outcast
    outcast

That is a very good thought JBean. <ignoring fed up>

I know all my years of being a Witness, when work mates and associates found out I was one, they respected that. They also respected my beliefs on the holidays, birthdays, voting etc. The witnesses have little or no respect, and no boundries. And would leave their mother, father, sisters and brothers and their cats, dogs birds and fish to rot, if it meant getting one extra day of eternal life for their little selfish selves.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

what if you never became a dub.
    yet you keep your family..but you lose your witness
    family that you never had..........
    do you enter the bizarro world??

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi JBean,

What an insightful question... and very good point.

Now, when someone becomes a JW, they don't necessarily lose a family member or friends......... but they are usually (may happen in some cases) never shunned.

My mother disowned me after I'd been a JW for about a year. So yes, situations like that happen. But she was also an insane, hateful, manipulative, unbalanced bitch; she could have disowned me for any reason.

The point is that my "loss" was NOT due to my (then)-JW religious convictions or having to choose between Jesus and my mother. I've known a far greater number of people of OTHER religious faiths (Catholic, Judaism) NOT JW's - who have experienced this kind of shunning. For example, their marrying someone who wouldn't nominally convert to their faith.

These egregiously selfish, hateful shunning/ disowning tactics were blatant attempts to bully my friends into submission. I did not see any "love" behind their parents' behavior nor concern about their child's well-being. Further, there was no concern whatsoever as to whether the required "conversion" was genuine or sincere; a technical registration process was sufficient..... such technicalities afforded the parents' continued "approved" status within their own local religious community though.

I wish there was more we could do to call borgians on the REAL motives behind their shunning policies which are consistent with the above examples..... I'm remembering ladonna's recent experience now...... so gut-wrenching and so incomprehensively evil in its criminal, murderous intent.......

Fred Hall, you are actually so much absurd entertainment that I can't help but like your posts, but a typical response from you would be the perfect illustration of why it's difficult for most active JW's to admit what's REALLY behind the shunning policy. If you read this, what do you have to say to JBean?

lauralisa

What price... to pay... for bad wisdom... Suzanne Vega

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

True JBean, my roommate is a prime example. When he came to Christ he was basically rejected by his family. His mother will call him occasionally but he is not allowed to mention the name Jesus or she will hang up or go off on him. I lost a ton of friends when I got saved. The JW's have no idea what the Bible means when it says to follow Jesus. How are you losing family and friends? Only if you leave, as you pointed out.

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

• JBean
    JBean

Thanks for your thoughts so far! Uncle & LauraL: I (in typical JW blissful ingorance) was unaware that others have also been shunned for religious reasons...personally I've never seen that happen with any of my non-JW friends or acquaintances. I think Uncle makes a very good point in that if you truly go to Christ, there's a good chance you'll have problems with people who cannot grasp what that means. ALso, Lauralisa, I think you mean that the real reason the shunning occurs is NOT, as they say, out of love and to help the person mend their ways (if indeed any actual ways need mending to being with), but to GET THE PERSON BACK INTO THE ORGANIZATION AT ANY COST and if they won't come back, to keep their other members away from the "bad" one so they won't figure out the truth and leave also. Just really not sure as to why this happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit