Around the last WW1 French veteran still living

by aligot ripounsous 9 Replies latest social current

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

One of the last two French WW1 veterans died recently. Some have wondered on this board whether there had ever been a French army, or one composed of other than white flag holders. Yes there was a French army. Some 8.4 milllion men were mobilized. Out of those, 5.6 milllion, missing ones not included, came out either dead or maimed, that is 2/3 of the total. In the meantime, they had stopped the German army twice, on the Marne in 1914 and at Verdun in 1916. The head of the allied troops was Foch, whom the allied heads of states preferred to British General French because he was more saving, soldiers' bloodwise. 20 years later, the prospect was a remake of the butchery. I can't blame the French soldiers for having been, then, less than merry warmongers.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Edited : Foch was preferred to gen. Haig (called the butcher of the Somme), and not to gen. French who was more concerned about preserving human lives.

• Mincan
    Mincan

Ugh, ask the Canadians about Gen. Haig.... butcher of the Somme is right... a lot of Canadians died at the Somme, and The Second Battle of Ypres, Passchendale (which they are making a movie about yay!), The Battle of Cambrai, The Battle of Arras and of course Vimy Ridge. Vimy took 16,000 alone in one day. 600,000 Canadians enlisted, out of a population of about 7 million! 67,000 died during the course of the war, 175,000 wounded. The last soldier to die in the First World War was a Canadian, two minutes before the armistice took effect!

• 5go
    5go
    which they are making a movie about yay

I hate to break this to you but WW1 isn't a good movie war like WW2 is.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

The French had their butcher too, gen. Nivelle who pursued his activity at Chemin-des-Dames.

• Mincan
    Mincan
    I hate to break this to you but WW1 isn't a good movie war like WW2 is.

I hate to break this to you but I find the First World War far more interesting than the Second.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I'm afraid, there's no such thing as an interesting war.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Some have wondered on this board whether there had ever been a French army, or one composed of other than white flag holders.

Thats because the board is full of dunces. When France was France, it's army was the terror of the world.

Burn

• Mincan
    Mincan
    I'm afraid, there's no such thing as an interesting war.

I'm afraid, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Probably will either way though...

Also nice that you are so presumptuous as to say what I may or may not find interesting.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Mincan,

sorry for the misunderstanding, I was telling my opinion and didn't try to lecture anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit