The JWD kingdom hall

by 144001 5 Replies latest jw friends

You can leave the kingdom hall, but does the kingdom hall ever really leave you?

Lately on this forum, there have been numerous inquisitions performed by small groups of forum users attempting to determine the veracity, or specifically, the lack thereof, of certain posts made by various forum regulars. In the kingdom halls, judicial committees are charged with the responsibility of determining whether Jehovah's Witnesses comply with the multitude of rules and regulations promulgated by the Watchtower corporate cult. On this forum, it seems that certain users have formed quasi-judicial committees for the purpose of determing the truth of various posts.

When a user seeks contributions of any sort for any purpose, they should expect to be subjected to a high level of scrutiny. Most ex-JWs have learned from their cult experience and understand the importance of skepticism, particularly when financial matters are involved. But the recent inquisitions have called into question claims of those not seeking financial assistance/contributions, including claims relating to past careers (e.g., a purported baseball player) and present careers (e.g., tattoo artist).

What motivates the individuals performing such inquisitions? Concern for the welfare of the populace of this forum? Achieving notoriety for being the "smart" user who exposed a fraud? Or could it be something more subtle, like psychological remnants of the brainwashing inflicted upon most of us by the Watchtower corporate cult? Could it be that these "inquisitions" are just another indication that we left the kingdom hall, but at least part of the kingdom hall went with us?

For what it's worth, this post is not intended to disparage or judge anyone, including those who have taken part in the various inquisitions or those who were the subject of them. Rather, this thread seeks to explore the question of whether the inquisitory conduct described in this post is another result of the exposure we've had to the Watchtower corporate cult.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe that it is impossible, or close to it, to verify the accuracy of posts that include personal experiences. This is because the religion is so disunified. What happens to one person might well be impossible for someone else. This is because they will take the course that they believe will yield the greatest benefit to the organization. And, single men with no prospects are the highest prize to them (for the Value Destroyer Training School and their little myth that grads from that can rebuild the organization). Sisters, and men with prospects, are worth less to them.

Also, they take into account whether the victim has family in that can be used against them. The more family you have in, the more likely they are to disfellowship someone for nothing or threaten them with blackmail. Any of these factors can determine an individual's actual experience. Additionally, if there is a family or a group of single men that seek to "adopt" a single brother, there is a better chance that that "brother" will be recaptured upon fading or attempting to disassociate than if it's a sister or someone with family. Reason: They think, according to their little myths, that such "brothers" are worth the hassle and risks.

Many other personal stories also vary wildly. Some have had to throw away nearly every music CD, while others with more liberal parents were allowed to keep some or all of them. Some have had no after school activities except field circus, while others have had more leeway. Some have had to do field circus every Saturday morning, while others got to do something else. It all depends on how strict the parents are. And, usually after the Grand Boasting Session or hounder-hounder visit, there could be periods of cracking down.

Congregations also vary. Some hound everyone for missing a single boasting session or for not putting in pioneer hours. Some shove aux pio slips into everyone's face every March; others do not do that. Some are strict with "stumbling blocks" and "conscience matters", while others might allow such to slide. Some are still liberal with social outings, while more and more are cracking down on those as the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is hounding hounder-hounder-hounders to crack down. And these can change when a new hounder-hounder starts cracking down on things that the lead hounders were previously lax on.

That is why no two ex-witlesses have the same experiences. Verifying the accuracy of those posts can be impossible and can lead to stifling the board's openness unnecessarily. We do have a few rules at the bottom of the board that appear below the post button each time we post, and we should not attempt to go beyond those. Otherwise, someone with a truly unique experience in that truly disunified religion could feel suppressed. Worse still, it only takes for one of them to go right back into the Tower! That would be the last thing I want--to have one of my posts leading someone right back into the Watchtower Society just because of insisting on proof. Generally, unless someone is trying to cause a panic (like telling lies about this board itself), I see no reason for anything other than giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And, even if it is proven lies this time, something like that could well come up in the near future. Ultimately, the leaders of the Watchtower Society have the free will that they deny the members. That is going to determine how strict they ultimately will be. It is, however, possible to determine a probable trend. If you have 25,000 different people given this information, you could well get 25,000 different forecasts and none accurate. I prefer to use the speculation threads to predict where I think the Watchtower Society will most likely go, and to see what others think is most likely to happen.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think an inquisition can be counterproductive if it becomes so heated that the subject is intimidated to the point of being afraid to respond in their own defense. It can be likened to pleading "no contest" which is not necessarily an admission of guilt.

W

• Satanus
    Satanus

Maybe you don't like getting truth in things. Maybe you like being lied to, told half truths. Maybe, you like fake people. Maybe, you don't like people who do like reality. That's fine for you. You can even write about it, if you want. But, try not to disparage those who do like truth. Thanks.

S

Maybe you don't like getting truth in things. Maybe you like being lied to, told half truths. Maybe, you like fake people. Maybe, you don't like people who do like reality. That's fine for you. You can even write about it, if you want. But, try not to disparage those who do like truth. Thanks.

Satanus,

If you interpreted my post as "disparaging" those who like truth, then I apologize for the miscommunication, as it was certainly not my intent to disparage anyone. In fact, I tried to make this clear in the latter part of my post. The issue I'm interested in is whether the formation of quasi-judicial committees to investigate certain claims of certain individuals is a subconscious remnant of our Watchtower exposure. That can be a positive or a negative circumstance, depending on your viewpoint.

• Bryan
    Bryan

I really don't know what you're talking about, but did you see Sister So-in-so's Avitar?! The neck line on that dress has become a boob line! I need to make sure elder What's-his-name saw it!

Talk later!

Bryan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit