toronto columnist on religious opportunists

by Moxy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

an article appeard in the toronto sun yesterday about the visits from JWs since 9/11.

http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/dunford_nov4.html

i find it fascinating that altho the columnist and his friend are clearly talking about JWs (he mentions the titles of 2 current awakes word-for-word) he obviously doesnt understand what their message is at all. they're both talking about heaven and souls and of course, whether or not they have any questions about god. so much for a clear message that people can base a life-or-death decision on.

mox

• bitter mango
  • Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Dear Mr. Dunford:

I wish to thank you for your comments under the heading "in God we clash". I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses but have left the movement a couple years ago, so it was easily recognizable who you were referring to in your article.

In part, it was their insensitivity to world events that caused me to cease my involvement with the Witnesses. Even now, I still hear comments from active members to the effect that such incidents, while sad, are also "thrilling" as they are interpreted as fulfilling of Bible prophecy.

I can assure you that those who call at your door are sincere, but very misguided. Most have been raised in the religion (read: cult) or in it so long that they fail to stop and think what they are really preaching.

They fail to mention to people that their solution to world problems such as terrorism, is God's Kingdom, which will kill the wicked (those who are not Witnesses for the most part) and will set up an earthly paradise where the faithful will live happily forever.

It is very difficult to reason with such people, but your article is likely good in that it will help prevent people from joining and supporting such thinking, and perhaps even a few Witnesses or other fundamental Christian groups will step back and give some thought to what they are really preaching.

You and your readers may also not be aware that you can request to be on the Witnesses' "do not call" list. For obvious reasons they do not advertise this, but will for the most part attempt to honor that request.

Again, thank you for comments. My family and many of the people I grew up with no longer speak to me since I am no longer involved, making it difficult to reason with them. I am hoping comments from the media can chip away at imaginary world these people live in and help them to appreciate just how insensitive and unkind their thinking really is.

- A former Witness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit