I never got the point

by kenny2 1 Replies latest jw friends

• kenny2
    kenny2

I'd like to share a story i recieved in an email once. I cannot locate it so i'm not sure if it is exactly the way it was written, but I'm sure it's pretty close. If anyone knows the writer of this please let me know, I would surely appreciate it.

There was once a man who was a great artist. He was well known worldwide by fellow artists and art collectors due to the beauty and greatness of his paintings. Some would even go so far as to rate his paintings with the likes of Michalangelo, Picasso, Rembrandt. He had a great fortune monetarily and lived an extremely rich life, due to the fact that his paintings were highly valued and brought top dollar at auctions and galleries around the world.

As great as his passion was for painting, he had a passion much more dear to him. His wife had passed away several years earlier and was forced to raise his only son alone.

His son was in his late teens, and was born mentally challenged so growing up to live a productive life as far as being self supportive was not ever likely going to happen. The father knew this, but felt blessed that he had the financial means to take care of him, even after he died.

This artist shared everything with his son. They lived together, ate together, went everywhere together. The love that the father had for this son was one that most people would be envious of. His son was, as far as he was concerned, the only important thing in this world to him, in spite of his fortune.

The artist was dying, and he knew it. He had been diagnosed with cancer several months earlier. The doctors were the best in the world but nothing they did could slow it down. He knew he had little time left, so he contacted his attorney to arrange for his son and his estate. His instruction were to hold an auction of the paintings that he did that were never sold, knowing that they would bring in more money after his death. All of the proceeds would go into a fund that would support his son for the rest of his life. His own fortune was more than enough to take care of this already, but those were his instructions anyway. Shortly thereafter, the father passed away.

The death was a surprise to the world as this artist kept his medical condition secret. An announcement was made then for an auction to take place. People from around the world came to bid on a personal collection from this man as at this point became very valuable due to his death.

The attorney handling these matters started the auction by announcing that it was the will of this artist to begin the auction by placing a painting, done by his only son up for bid before anything else. This painting had terrible colors, no defintion, didn't have any artistic value, it was just plain awful. Nevertheless, no other bidding would be allowed until this painting was sold.

"we will begin the bidding at $100." Everyone was silent. You could hear whispering and uneasiness in the crowd. "What's up with this?" people were saying. "We are here for a chance at one of the greatest collections of our time, and someone has to buy this before we can get to it?" Everyone there was getting impatient.

Finally, someone there who knew the artist personnaly and out of respect for him and knowing the love he had for his son stood up and shouted "I'll bid $100 for that painting." The attorney then said "Once, going twice, SOLD for $100." He then announced that the auction was over.

The crowd became angry "What's up with this?" The attorney explained that this was the artist's wishes as to how the auction would be conducted. The one who bid on the first painting would get everything.

MORAL of the STORY: He who takes the son, get's everything.

Please remember I am writing this from memory and if anyone knows the original please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Funny thing, when I was a JW, I never got this message.

Kenny2

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Excellent!

Great story, too bad JW's will miss the message, like you said!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit