Birthdays, Christmas, New Year and more!

by Chalam 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi all,
    I just found another verse on this-the title of the section is perfect!

Colossians 2 (New International Version)

Freedom From Human Regulations Through Life With Christ

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Also there is this one.

Romans 14 (New International Version)

5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

So what does a JW think when they read verses like these?

All the best,
    Stephen

• dkeithia
    dkeithia

Good question: the answer though is a simple one.

They are taught not to read the whole Bible just the parts that the WTS wants them to read.

Which means most have not read the Bible entirely and if they did they went and asked an elder or looked at a WTS publication for clarification.

LH

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration
    So what does a JW think when they read verses like these?

1. They don't.

2. The WT has perfect answers to explain those scriptures away that are totally accepted by the Brethren.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    Thanks for the posts.

Forgive me for posting these verses again but I am really digging them!

2 Timothy 3 (The Message)

Difficult Times Ahead

1-5 Don't be naive. There are difficult times ahead. As the end approaches, people are going to be self-absorbed, money-hungry, self-promoting, stuck-up, profane, contemptuous of parents, crude, coarse, dog-eat-dog, unbending, slanderers, impulsively wild, savage, cynical, treacherous, ruthless, bloated windbags, addicted to lust, and allergic to God. They'll make a show of religion, but behind the scenes they're animals. Stay clear of these people.
    6-9 These are the kind of people who smooth-talk themselves into the homes of unstable and needy women and take advantage of them; women who, depressed by their sinfulness, take up with every new religious fad that calls itself "truth." They get exploited every time and never really learn. These men are like those old Egyptian frauds Jannes and Jambres, who challenged Moses. They were rejects from the faith, twisted in their thinking, defying truth itself.

Regards,
    Stephen

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

5G: could you let us know what the explanation is? The scripture seems quite clear-not much wiggle room. I would like to hear what they are programmed to hear.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

w988/15p.17par.8StrengtheningOurConfidenceinGod’sRighteousness***

In order to please Jehovah, the Jews were required to obey the Ten Commandments and also a wide variety of about 600 additional laws. Later, under the Christian arrangement, obedience to these laws as such was no longer a requirement for serving Jehovah, not even for fleshly Jews. The laws no longer binding included those dealing with circumcision, keeping the Sabbath, offering animal sacrifices, and observing certain dietary restrictions. (1 Corinthians 7:19; 10:25; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 10:1, 11-14) Jews—including the apostles—who became Christians were released from the obligation to keep laws that they were required to obey when they were under the Law covenant. Did they complain that God’s arrangement was unrighteous in having formerly required of them things that were no longer necessary? No, they rejoiced in the broadened understanding of Jehovah’s purposes.—Acts 16:4, 5.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

it-1p.491Colossians,Lettertothe***

False

ViewsCountered. A deceptive philosophy was being fostered by false teachers in Colossae. Emphasis was being placed on the observance of the Mosaic Law. The practice of asceticism was also being urged. The apostle warned Colossian Christians to look out, so that someone would not carry them off "as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ." (Col 2:8) Paul also urged his fellow believers to let no one judge them in eating and drinking "or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ." (Col 2:16, 17) The apostle recognized mock humility for what it was and scored asceticism, saying: "Those very things are, indeed, possessed of an appearance of wisdom in a self-imposed form of worship and mock humility, a severe treatment of the body; but they are of no value in combating the satisfying of the flesh."—Col 2:20-23.
  • Chalam
    Chalam

So the WTO agree with Paul that no-one should be judged who wants to attend a party or festival.

Cool-I need to tell my JW friends!

Party on dudes :)

Stephen

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

That's kind of the funny point.

I also noticed that the 2005 WT CD has no comment on that scripture since '99.

• Chalam
    Chalam

"That's kind of the funny point."

No fun for poor old JWs though :(

Even Jesus and his disciples like a party

John 2 (New International Version)

John 2

Jesus Changes Water to Wine

1On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."
    4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."

5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."

6Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[a]

7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."

They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

Make sure you put your faith in Him too and not the WTO!

All the best,
    Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit