RutherfordsForgiveness?

by R.Crusoe 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

This intrigues me!!

As a JW I was taught and melted into the mould of forgiveness so that I pained over seeing the reasons why wrongdoers do wrong and if they repented everything was fine! I am an extremely forgiving and understanding person when given the opportunity to be via reasonable communication!

But because I have this perception, I would find it iextremely difficult for me to sentence people to punishments in the way that many I know would eagerly seek!

So my wonder is at how Rutherford viewed his own status as at the helm of Gods only divine channel - working directly for the forgiving, role model of the freshly crowned king of heaven, and simultaneously sentencing people to one thing or another.

Are there any records of some of his decisions/sentences in this regard?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Interesting question. Everything I have always read about Rutherford (outside of organization) indicates that he was not a nice person. I think he was more of a "do as I say and not as I do" guy. I don't recall reading on favorable thing about the man.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I dont think I've ever read a good (non-JW) word about the Judge. His contemporarys found him to be a bit of a meglomaniac. Well , maybe just an arrogant SOB...I read a lot into things at times. Even Old time JW s'I knew would sidestep the Judge when he came up in discussion... and many of the same had nice things to say about CT Russell.

~Hill

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Isn't it just amazing how so few know the roots of their own belief system and how it becomes unrecogniseable by the time a few generations pass it on to general public? I really despise the fact that so many have given their lives to something born out of an illusion to all those who follow it!

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Oh my hell, the so called "Judge was not even a real judge, the closest he ever got to being a judge was being a constable give me a #@*&^!~ break, he was nothing more than a shyster; as the word implys he was an unethical, unscrupulous practitioner, especially of law in ways that would benefit him only.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

from Wikipedia...

"Rutherford was born to a Baptist farm family in Morgan County, Missouri on November 8, 1869. Harboring an interest in law for many years, his father initially opposed his interests in law studies, but eventually relented and allowed him to go to college,provided Joseph pay for someone to work for him on his father's farm. After completing his education, he worked as a court reporter and was admitted to the bar at Boonville, Missouri. Later he became a special, or substitute judge in the same Fourteenth Judicial District of Missouri. Because of this background in law he was often referred to as "Judge Rutherford", a name he carried with him for the rest of his life."

FYI

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

My bad - He only spoke on two cases apparently!

So in theory he deferred from judgement!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit