women in the bible

by celebrate 9 Replies latest jw friends

• celebrate
    celebrate

Recently, I was taking part in a discussion about women and how a lot of the ideas about women came from the Bible. As we discussed this, it seemed most of the stories were negative, with the only exceptions being Ruth and Esther. Negative references include references to Eve, Jezabel, Deliah, divorced women, widows, and Lot's wife, were fairly frequent.

Help me out, are there any stories in the Bible where the main character is a woman that is in a very positive tone about the woman or women in general? Also, if divorced women are hot and lead men astray, is there any mention about divorced men? In truth, I don't recall any stories like this, but this could just be the religion and its emphasis on men.

Thanks for your help.

celebrate

• blondie
    blondie

As to divorce in the Bible, only men could divorce their wives (in pre-Christian times). Wives could not divorce their husbands. Thus if a man is divorced, it is because something was wrong with the wife. And if a woman was divorced, it was because something was wrong with her. Simply, a divorced man had done nothing wrong.

Rahab (foremother of Jesus), Deborah, Jephthah's daughter, Noah's wife and daughters-in-law, Zipporah (saved her son), Rebekah, Abigail, Mary (Jesus' mother), Mary and Martha, Tabitha, Priscilla (Prisca) are some that come to mind. Of course, negativity is a relative thing and no one has all good qualities. But I find these women praiseworthy and strong.

• metatron
    metatron

how 'bout Deborah who judged Israel?

how about a nice sermon on a wife's response to an abusive
    husband using Jael as an example?

how about Rahab the harlot - who was proved righteous by WORKS?

metatron (hee - hee)

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

How about the girl in the Song of Solomon....grrrrrrrrr, baby, yeah!

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

The Bible is a book written by "MEN".

They throw us a few crumbs in the book but in general we are made to look like what they want us to. Something inferior.

They are all made in God's image...and we were just an afterthought.

need I say more?

No wonder I am an agnostic!

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• Moxy
    Moxy

actually, the earliest J strand of genesis is considered by some to have been written by a woman. consider how some of the J stories make the woman to be so much brighter than the men, while still labouring under the inequality of the culture.

sarai directs abram about having a child with hagar and then later having hagar and ishmael sent away. abram going, 'dum-de-dum-dum' the whole time.

rebekah basically runs the whole show with the choosing of jacob over esau and orchestrates other family decisions. poor isaac is just going 'dum-de-dum duh' and cant even tell his sons apart.

leah and rachel barter over sack-time with hubby jacob. poor jacob doesnt get a say in the matter except, 'dum-de-dum.'

even the J story of adam and eve makes adam out to be kind of a 'dum-de-dum. but the woman- the woman- umm duh' kind of character. at least eve knew what she was doing. the women always get more face time in the J strand. they are the focus of the stories. make sure that you keep them seperate from the later P strands that are more pious though.

mox

• JT
    JT

my wife just used to love the part of the bible where it told women to shut up stupid and sit down-

only men have anything worth saying-

now go sit over in the corner till your husband gets here-

she truly loved that part- YEA RIGHT

once again we see the control of women by a book put together by a group of guys-RUNNING AROUND IN THE WILDERNESS

the taliban forbides women from going out without a male member of the family-

the bible forbids women from asking any questions- men on the other hand can- nice double standard

Solomon the World's biggest "Playboy" just think -=this dude was able to have God's approval and still get the "Coochie" of 3 women per day for a year.

now let's turn the tables--Can you women out there honestly tell me that -- can you see a woman having god's approval and allowing 3 dudes a day to "Bang" her for a year -yea right

once again nice double standard- when you consider that the bible says Korah and his men were struck down right on the spot - WHY NOT SOLOMON-

NICE DOUBLE STANDARD

After leaving Wt-- my wife and I often discuss how if "ANYONE" should not believe in the bible and it's "Defined role of Women" whatever that maybe IT SHOULD BE WOMEN!!!!!!!

to have a book written BY GUYS- FOR GUYS that tells ladies what they can and can't do is sad-

of course they guys who wrote the bible realized we need to "THROW A BONE OR TWO" OUT TO THE WOMEN BELIEVERS

SO THEY provide a couple of examples of ladies, but the OVER ALL TONE OF THE BIBLE -- SHAFTS WOMEN BOTTOM LINE-

ONE OF THE best parts of the bible is the "cheating Wife test"

the one that made her "Coochie" dry up- now let's be for real- most the time is is usual the man who steps out on his wife-

besides it wasn't like the avg woman in bible times was walking around dress up-- IN A MINI-SKIRT, 6IN PUMPS and relaxed like she worked in some Wall Street Law firm

after being on her feet all day working in the fields while the men were up AT THE GATE shooting the breeze all day
    she hardly felt like some man riding on her AT NIGHT=-

but on the other hand after he had spent all day chilling out at the GATE WITH THE BOYS---he felt like a little loving when he got home-

of course the woman was TOO tired-- so he would assume "So you have been out giving away my sugar-- Damn'it we are going to the priest in the morning to have you tested BiT%^&*-!!!!!"

so off they go and she is made to drink this trash off the floor- i guess it did make most women sick on the stomach-

suppose someone gave you something to drink after they mixed some dirt they got off the ground-

what is so cool about that account is "THERE IS NO TEST FOR THE MAN"

can you image the test for men and what would happen if he had been fooling around-

that little worm would have shrunk even more

Point Being --THE bible makes for great Bedtime reading if you enjoy fiction

just my 2

James

• anewperson
    anewperson

Dorcas was noted for her hospitality; Phoebe (Romans 16:1) risked her life and had a congregation gathering in her home etc

• Dan B
    Dan B

Gal 4:26

But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

Dan

• celebrate
    celebrate

Thank you all for your responses -- they have been most enlightening.

celebrate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit