The bravest thing...

by Mickey mouse 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

...I've been thinking and I reckon leaving "the truth" and risking losing your entire family has to be one of the bravest things to do. Really. I am still considering whether my exit is possible but to all who have done it, well done!

I noticed on another thread that others found once they left it inspired other family members to leave too. How common is this?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, I left, and at the time thought it the most difficult thing I did ... But in time other challenges arose that tested my bravery

As for your question about how common t is that family members leave too : My mum faded after I got DF. But my mum was never a hard core believer. I know a former sister in my cong who is DF, het entire hardcore family is still in.

Guess it depends on the family.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Deciding to leave after over 30 years as a MS, elder and Pioneer was one of the bravest things I've ever done. My wife, daughter, in laws, my mom and all my best friends were all still active JWs.

S4

• changeling
    changeling

I quit FS in June of 06. My husband hung on a for a few months, but was mentally "with me". We then slacked of on meeting attendance and have not been to one since April.

When we left, our non-baptized son "got theocratic" for a few months. I figured it was his version of teenaged rebelion. I was right. He is now "out" and a happy college freshman.

My parents and married daughter are still active.

It was tough at first, but we have shown through our actions that we are the same loving people we always were.

As of now, we have peace in our family, and as far as it's up to us, it will continue.

It can be done.

changeling

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Personally, I think it takes a lot of strength to "fade" in an effort to keep your JW friends & family connections alive. It seems that it would be really hard to act like you believe in this drivel when you really don't around the people that you care about. Both exit strategies take a tremendous amount of courage and sacrifice, I just think in the long run it's easier to "tear the band-aid off quickly", so to speak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit