Cult Awareness Network

by wanderlustguy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_Awareness_Network

This is one of two things that have held me back from doing some things that I feel more and more compelled to do. David and Goliath.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Yeah, CAN being taken over by scientology is disgusting.

• changeling
    changeling

Wow!!!!!!!! "Beware of cults, but join ours, it's the best!"

changeling

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Wow!!!!!!!! "Beware of cults, but join ours, it's the best!"

changeling

Actually it's far worse than that. They got the mailing lists and phone numbers of every person who contacted CAN, all files, everything down to the staples. For a long time CAN was and still is one of the most prominent organizations thought of if someones loved ones end up in a cult. Now when they call, CAN takes the information and contacts the religious group, giving them the information about the member so the group is then able to "shelter" their member. I'm kind of suprised this isn't more well known. If you decide to form an organization to help people get out...even a discussion board like this one, if the wrong move is made, religious groups can bankrupt the organization with lawsuits and then buy the assets, including any contact information contained therin. I am afraid some underestimate the damage these groups can actually inflict upon them and others.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

This is disgusting! My copy of "Combatting Cult Mind Control" includes a disclaimer saying that CAN had changed hands and Hassan does not endorse the "new CAN" in any way, but I never checked into the reasons and was unaware of the details until now. It's bad enough that they were able to litigate this group into the ground, but to then be allowed to acquire and operate it as a deceptive front for the very thing it was formed to combat in the first place? There is something very stinky about a system that allows such a thing to happen, I feel sick after reading this.

I find this scary as hell, not to mention grotesque and evil. Thank you for the enlightening post.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This thread has answered my question! I just finished Combatting Cult mind control and thought I would check out C.A.N's website. I was shocked to see a personal attack on Steve Hassan. It all makes sense now!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit