Current procedure for jw infants regarding blood - any info?

by atypical 2 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

Hi everyone -

With the new year coming around, I am getting ready to (possibly) deal with the blood-card issue regarding my 5-month old first-born (my wife is a jw). Does anyone know, do they expect parents to fill out a DPA or a medical directive for infants, or is that only for publishers and up? I can't believe I don't know this. I have been gone about three years, and I only vaguely remember a more generic directive for kids than what the baptized people got. I don't want to be blindsided, so any info is appreciated.

Of course, I am not going to permit any type of document or paper saying my baby can't have blood (not a fan of child sacrifice, thank you very much). I just want to know what I might be dealing with.

• Scully
    Scully

I believe they have a card that outlines the parents' wishes for the child's medical care, but it is different from the adult's card, in that the parents can identify themselves as JWs, but not impose that on the child in the legal document.

At the hospital where your child was born, it is important that you go to Medical Records and find out whether your child is registered with them as JW. This flags your child's chart and doctors will anticipate a confrontation in the event of a later admission to hospital. You can have that changed on the electronic record.

If you have a family doctor, you may want to talk to him/her and discuss the controversy that exists between you and your wife. The doctor will then be aware of your decision to authorize blood transfusions for your child in the event of an emergency.

Your wife may actually be relieved that you - as the scriptural head of the family - have taken the position that you have. The decision will be out of her hands, she will be blameless before the congregation, and your child will get a blood transfusion if it is needed to save his life.

• atypical
    atypical

Thank you very, very much Scully. I can prevent that card from being filled out, and I will talk with the hospital and the family doctor.

You are exactly right about how my wife feels - she was reluctant to put it into words, but hinted strongly that she would not try to go against my decision. That's really the biggest part of the battle, so I am relieved.

Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit