Most Comprehensive Work on JW in Nazi-Germany now in English

by GermanXJW 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The thesis of German historian Detlef Garbe on JW in the Third Reich now becomes also available in English. To me this is still the best in-depth analysis of the JW history in Nazi-Germany. Despite the Watchtower's attempt to exploit him he remained neutral and also made some critical notes at Stand Firm-exhibitions. In some cases, Garbe has a different point of view as Penton who is more anti-Watchtower.

Paperback:
    http://www.amazon.com/Between-Resistance-Martyrdom-Jehovahs-Witnesses/dp/0299207943/ref=ed_oe_p

Hardcover:
    http://www.amazon.com/Between-Resistance-Martyrdom-Jehovahs-Witnesses/dp/0299207900/ref=ed_oe_h

• kwr
    kwr

Thanks for the information.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Interesting.

It would appear that this work is rather along the lines of being pro-WTS insofar as the Nazi regime is concerned.

Does it mention the letter from a 30s Yearbook, which is much less condemnatory of the Nazi regime?

Also, thanks for the invite over on that German ex-JW board. It's been fun, especially since my German is so rusty! But, as that famous actor said: "I'll be back!" LOL

• proplog2
    proplog2

Who did the translating of this edition?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Garbe worked out the first edition (which I own) without any support of the WTS because they rejected any research which he lamented about.

When WT-policy changed in the 1990 they gave Garbe access to their history archives which also reflects in later editions (it is published fourth printing now, with the third and fourth being identical). He mentions almost everything including the letter to Hitler but he does not only quote the yearbook but also refers to the actual letter and states that the "Declaration of Facts" was done by Rutherford in English and the letter was obviously done by Balzereit (because the Original was German and a translation was sent to the US).

Translation of Garbe's book was done by a woman by the name Dagmar G. Grimm, a German who lives in the US now. From the description I tend to assume she is a JW. The book is published by the University of Wisconsin and supported by the Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit