The 144,000 is symbolic - it makes so much sense!

by cultswatter 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

The WTS says that the 4 living creatures around God's throne are symbolic and the 24 elders are also symbolic but the 144,000 are literal. In the vision John is merely describing what he saw. 144,000 of this and 4 of that and 24 of the other. John does not make a distinction in the way he enumerating the persons/creatures of the vision. So the WTS interpretations of what John saw are simply contradictory.

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Yep, it's totally symbolic.

12 x 12,000 is merely a symbolic representation for a state of heavenly completeness or fullness. It represents the full number of Christians who are resurrected to heaven, which is probably millions. The overall scriptural context makes this the most sensible interpretation by far.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Considering all that the writer was seeing, I'm more inclined to think he was munching on a certain kind-o-mushroom.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

As I have said on other posts, with all the changes we have had, 1935 then the meaning of generation etc. there is no doubt that they will drop thee literall 144,000 in the next few years

• Cautious Dove
    Cautious Dove

I can see there is a good argument for the 144,000 being symbolic. Jesus is, after all, not a literal "lamb" and if the 144,000 are a symbolic (spiritual) "Israel of God" then it would made sense that the number is also not literal.

Then again, perhaps the 144,000 is literal, in which case the "Israel" could also be literal. Perhaps there literally are 144,000 chosen ones from Israel. In which case, could the "great crowd" not simply be other anointed Christians above and beyond the 144,000 ?

JWs used to teach that the great crowd also go to heaven. Maybe they will revert back to this as they have done recently on a number of teachings (for example the "new light" on the "generation" being the anointed ones, which was actually "old light" from 1927 ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit