George Catlin & Native American Indians

by golf2 2 Replies latest social current

• golf2
    golf2

After reading the comments about the Lakota Indians, I thought I would share the following information with you.

George Catlin was an eyewitnessto to native culture in it's "natural" state. He was born in 1796 and died in 1872. he forsook his thriving law practice to pursue his passion for painting Native people.
    Begining from 1836, Mr. Catlin painted the of way of 49 tribes and saw firsthand how natural life should be lived. He foresaw the PLANNED destruction of native culture by his own people. As Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "In politics nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

The following is Catlin's creed.

"I love the people who have always made me welcome to the best they had.

I love a people who are honest without laws, who have no jails and no poorhouses.

I love a people who keep the commandments without ever having read or heard them preached from the pulpit.

I love a people who never swear, who never take the name of God in vain.

I love a people "who love their neighbor as they love themselves."

I love a people who worship God without a Bible, for I believe that God loves them also.

I love the people whose religion is all the same, and who are free from religious animosties.

I love the people who never raised a hand against me, or stolen my property, where there was no law to punish them either.

Ilove the people who have never fought a battle with white men, except on their own ground.

I love and don't fear mankind where God has left them, for they are children.

I love people who live and keep what is their own without locks and keys.

I love all people who do the best they can. And oh, how I love a people who don't live for the LOVE OF MONEY!"

Will you find Catlin's creed in the history books?

Golf

• horrible life
    horrible life

Golf, that is one of the most beautiful statements, I have ever read. Just reading it, I felt at peace. I live in Choctaw country. Those statements still hold water.

The Indian people do not have the violent crime, as do all non-Indians around here. Since the tribe has gotten their feet on the ground, they have long range goals, to help each other, in finding, and making jobs. They are hard working, and proud people.

You have given me something wonderful to research, and teach my daughter, who is a card carrying Choctaw, yet knows very little of the culture. Merry Christmas,

• golf2
    golf2

Horriblelife, I find positive subjects and comments should be shared among us, this is one of them. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit