APOSTASY definitions: JW & Websters

by DazedAndConfused 1 Replies latest jw friends

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

JW:

Reasoning Book, copyright 1985:

Astostasy is abandoning or deserting the worship and service of God, actually a rebellion against Jehovah God. Some apostates profess to know and serve God but reject teachings or requirements set out in his Word. Others claim to believe the Bible but reject Jehovah's organization.

Websters Dictionary, copyright 1998:

a total desertion of or departure from one's religion, cause, party, etc.

If you think about it, almost everyone alive is apostate to something. All the ones that left their original religion to become a JW is apostate. As is anyone who goes from being Democrat to Republican. Or, as in my case, I am apostate because I no longer put my garbage into the recycle bin. Anyone disfellowshipped is also apostate.

When I was in the Borg I thought that all apostates were actively working against the Society (it never entered my mind about them working against Jehovah, only the Society). But by the Websters definition everyone who does not do what they once did, is apostate. Interesting.

• malk
    malk

I often thought that Christ would have been classified as an apostate by the definition in that reasoning book (and many other publications). He came with, what was at the time, a radical way of thinking. Something so preverse to so many that they just had to put him to death. Also, interestingly enough, the WBTS has stated that, since they can no longer put a violater of (their) God's word to death, they've instated themselves a method of punishment in it's place, that of disfellowshipping and shunning. It's funny that they say this, as the Bible clearly defines the role of the Christian Congregation in regards to wrongdoers. That role (In the Bible) consists mostly of Brotherly Love and encouragement, and if all else fails a reduction of association outside the Temple (eating a meal with such a person). It's so sad, because for so long we believe they have the truth, and there is no better, and the rest of the world is no good.....only to be tossed aside after years of dedication like garbage (and not even recycled, haha).

May God have mercy on their souls.

Hi Sis :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit