is there a trend?

by Bridgette 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Is it just me, or is there a running theme with the plethora of newbies posting? I've noticed more than one ask about former elders, CO's, DO's, etc.
    Why the interest, I wonder....

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Hi Bridgette: JWism is a rigidly hierarchical religion, right? People who genuinely believe it's "the" truth are pretty much locked into the mindset that those 'taking the lead' are somehow privy to more understanding of 'deep' things than the average young rank&file schmo.

Stands to reason that some of the schmos would be curious as to what steps led some of these respected hard-working 'older men' to jettison the Watchtower Way and begin to speak out in criticism.

Some questions recur from each successive crop of newly-thinking JWs because of the commonality of the experience. This is one of them. We were after all indoctrinated the same way; when we start thinking for ourselves, it helps to know what led some of the indoctrinators to question the doctrine.

Of course occasionally the questions are snide attempts at trolling. So long as they aren't getting belligerent, though, most of these questions spring from a genuine desire to understand.

Scuse me for butting in but I've seen this cycle before, and thought to shed a little light.

Just one candlepower,
    MD

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Another reason could be newbies trying to 'sus' out the power structure here. Posting new can be unerving, especially for the weaker vessels .. oops ;) I think mother black would agree some other sites seemed to be run by Elders and male egocentric wannabees. (thank Simon this place is for the masses .. viva la revolution!)

cheers, unclebruce

PS: MD on her last candle is brighter than most (me blatantly sucking up to a queen witch)

• ISP
    ISP

DO's, CO's are part of the JW 'following-man' mindset. They sit up and take note of the position/title more than what is said.

ISP

• joelbear
    joelbear

people tend to trust their CO's and DO's as the heart of the organization.

a newbie might find comfort in knowing that some of this level also have doubts or have also left.

Joel

• proplog2
    proplog2

Mommie Dark:

JW's aren't any different than others. News Stands are loaded with magazines devoted to "celebrity". Too often people in this forum try to reframe 'everything' to a unique JW perspective. Nobody is interested in a headline that reads "Joe Blow Leaves Catholic Church". But if the headline reads "Cardinal Joseph McBlow Excommunicated" is going to get people's attention.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Actually I think it's a good idea to seek out former elders. I think they actually possess a better insight into how the organization really works. The reason why is because they are the only ones allowed to participate in anything that really matters. If they aren't making the policy, they are the ones responsible for executing it.

ONE....

bigboi

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Interesting. Thanks for your comments. They all make sense. It just seemed odd. Actually, my first thought was that it was the same individual posting as different entities. Which matters not, the reasoning would probably still be the same for wanting the input of "older men".
    Thank you all for responding!
    B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit