Review of The Three Worlds by The Rainbow (1877)

by cabasilas 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I was playing with Google Books tonight and came up with this review of Barbour/Russell's The Three Worlds in the Rainbow magazine. The Rainbow was a British pre-millennial publication. If I've done this correctly, you can find the review at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DkIEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA334

The review is on pages 334 and 335.

It references the statements in the book that Christ left the Holy Place on October 22, 1874 and that the resurrection began in 1875.

I don't yet see a review of Russell's "Object and Manner" booklet.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

There's another reference to Barbour and the Herald of the Morning magazine on page 422 of this same volume in an article "Probable Time of the Second Advent" and the supposed end of 6000 years of human existence in 1872.

There's a bunch of other volumes of The Rainbow that are linked (all from Oxford University) and it might be good to search these for any other references to Barbour, Russell, or Paton.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you cabasilas! Quite an interesting review!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

The link seems to work but I cannot see much of the book. If I search, the page shows only a small part of the book. Can You download the book? In the past I tried to download The Finished Mystery and that did not work. I was able to download Seola and other books. Thank You for the other books you uploaded. Mark

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Here's the review of The Three Worlds by the Rainbow:

Three Worlds, or Plan of Redemption. By N.H. Barbour. Rochester, N.Y.: C.F. Russell.

The idea of this work is in 2 Pet. iii. -- the world before the flood, that which now is, and the new earth which is promised. Mr. Barbour is entitled to honour for the care and labour he has bestowed on this deeply interesting subject; but his book contains, admist much truth, not a few doctrines and statements which are not not only erroneous but mischevious. The incurable tendency of our American brethren to fix dates for the advent and the resurrection is fatally exhibited in this pamphlet. We say fatally, for it would be death to a book of far greater than this to say that Christ "left the holy place on Oct. 22nd, 1874;" and that "the resurrection began in the spring of 1875," adding the gross absurdity that "the great mass of mankind are to be raised in the flesh, with the animal body." No one can believe these statements, and no one should believe them, as they are simply incredible. We are thankful to any brother who teaches that the Saviour's coming will be pre-millennial, but we would have that divine truth kept clear from notions that have no foundation in Scripture.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

It should be noted that George Storrs also published a couple of reviews of The Three Worlds in his journal the Bible Examiner, which can be found online at this site:

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/contents/history/Storrs.htm

THREE WORLDS
    BIBLE EXAMINER
    New York, July, 1877

A book of 200 pages, treating on the character and proximity of the "Second Advent of Christ," and the "Kingdom of God," etc., which should be in the hands of every Bible student. Ex. cloth, gilt, $1.00: cloth, 50c.: paper, 25c. By mail. C.T.RUSSELL, Rochester, N.Y.

I received a copy of the above work some times since, and have read it with care; portions of it several times. It contains much of interest which may be read with profit. The Chronology is the best I have ever seen; but it is impossible for me to assent to all the conclusions the writer has arrived at, as to the events; yet I feel no disposition to oppose his views by way of controversy. A few months will determine the accuracy of the ground he has taken as to the withdrawal of the saints from the earth. I am of the opinion that they will be withdrawn secretly; i.e. unknown by the world till they are gone; and the precise time of the event will be unknown to themselves till they are taken, else why are they taken while "in the field" at work, or "grinding at the mill," and some in the "beds;" and "one is taken and another left?" If they knew the exact time, it seems unlikely that they would be found thus employed at that time; especially if it was definitely known. Hence it is, our Lord warns us to "Watch and pray. . . for ye know not when the Master of the house cometh," etc. Mr 13:33-37.

The book can be read with profit, provided the reader can avoid a positive and uncharitable spirit. I cannot commend all of its positions relative to the future, but many of the ideas I think are good.

EDITOR

This was followed by a more detailed criticism of the time features in The Three Worlds:

THREE WORLDS
    BIBLE EXAMINER

New York, October, 1877

My "criticism" on the above named work, in the July EXAMINER, has called forth a reply by my esteemed Bro. CHARLES T. RUSSELL, in the "Herald of the Morning." I understand that DR. BARBOUR, its Editor, does fix definitely the time of the translation of the elect Church. He tells us, we are "in the time of the harvest now" and that "some time in this period the elect are to be translated," yet he does not pretend to know the exact day. But does he not say, it will be at or before the harvest ends? and does he not say, it ends "the 9th day of April" next? He may admit it is possible the elect may be translated any time before that day: but suppose they are not: what then? will they not know "the day," exactly, in which they are to be changed, at that day? and would any of them, with that knowledge, "be in the field," or "in the mill," at work, as our Lord tells us they will be when they are taken?

I object to the time setting in any limited period, because I believe it is a disregard of our Lord's teaching on the subject, and the disappointments of the past, I think, should teach us it is an error to attempt to do more than to show the return of the Lord from heaven "is near, even at the door," and learn to "watch and pray" that we may be ready at all times to meet Him.

But no argument that I have ever seen, since 1844, has had any effect on my mind to cause me to believe the precise time of the Second Advent is revealed in the Bible, or will be known, unless God gives a new and direct revelation on the subject; which He may or may not, for all that is known.

I have no disposition for controversy on the subject. I do not have any doubt of the honesty and sincerity of Bro. BARBOUR and his fellow-laborers; but I cannot even seem to consent to their conclusion that the translation must and will occur within the next six months, or by or before the 9th of April next. I do not affirm it will not, only that the presumption is against the idea, from the declarations of our Lord, such as: "Watch, for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come" . . ." Therefore be ye also ready, for in such an hour (or, time) as ye think not the Son of man cometh." Mt 24:42, 44. At the close of the parable of the ten virgins, Jesus says, "Watch, therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh."

Again Jesus charges his followers, "Take ye heed, watch and pray, for ye know not when the time is." Mr 13:33.

It is easy to multiply similar expressions; but these may be sufficient to prevent the patient Christian from being positive on the definite time though he may think and believe " it is nigh, even at the door." A Christian's duty is to be always ready to meet his Lord, and to "love His appearing." but he is nowhere in the Bible exhorted to look further than for the "signs that it is nigh."

If professed followers of Christ cannot be stimulated to live holy unto the Lord only by the knowledge of the time of his return, then what becomes of those who have died without that knowledge? Yet, our friends, who advocate this definite time, give them a pre-eminence in immortality by teaching us that such are not being raised from the dead and are with Christ.

Again I say, I give these teachers credit for their sincerity and honesty; but I cannot accept their teaching on time.

The Three Worlds can be found online at these sites:

html version in progress:
    http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/threeworlds/threeworldstitle.html

scanned PDF:
    http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/docs/1877_The_Three_Worlds.pdf

text version PDF:
    http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/contents/history/3worlds.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit