The Myth of the Eternal Return by Eliade

by monophonic 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• monophonic
    monophonic

anyone who has read this book have any comments?

i'm ordering it right now, coppola mentioned it briefly in his q&a in today's ny times magazine and it seems like a great read on religion.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Coppola's movie Youth Without Youth is based on Eliade's novella.

It was released in NYC and LA on Friday, 12/14.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/youthwithoutyouth/

Thanks for posting this, mono.

• changeling
    changeling

Thanks for the post. I'll have to look into this one.

changeling

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

mono,

Yes, I have read this book. As is usual with his books they are impeccably researched and compelling in argument. His 'History of Religious Ideas" is a must for anyone interested in how and why we believe what we believe.

HS

• monophonic
    monophonic

thanks HS, i have a feeling once i get rolling on eliade's books i'll want to devour every single one of them.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I know very little about the book. One question I have is if the author distinguishes between mythology sets or does he merge all myths togeather I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that by "eternal return" the author is refering to eastern mythology (sometimes called the eternal mother) which focuses on repeating life cycles. On the other side of the spectrum lies a differant mythology type that stesses redemption through a heroic figure, sometimes called hero who slays the dragon. This type can be found throughout the Judeo-Christian religions as well as other ancient mesopotamian cultures to name a few.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit