I ended the youtube argument...

by B_Deserter 5 Replies latest jw friends

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

For those of you not in the know, my youtube video suffered dozens of messages from youtube user abc123jan, a young witness intent on make me see the error of my ways. It was the last straw when she flooded my comment section with quotes from the Watchtower of kids talking about how they don't mind not celebrating holidays. She literally posted over a dozen of those in quick succession, then posted this:

abc123jan: "BTW, Elders dont get paid for their work, no JW gets paid for their work, everything is voluntary. Our works are funded through donations. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT AND PLEASE, STOP SPREADING LIES."

I responded with this:

me: "Actually, Circuit Overseers do receive a monthly stipend from the society. The society also pays for their health insurance, life insurance, their vehicles, and they live in an apartment rent-free provided by a congregation in their circuit.
    Is there anything wrong with that? No. But I find it hard to take a CO seriously when he tells people they should pioneer. It sure is easy for him to say when he's got bethel paying the bills!"

Her last post in the flood was this one:

her: "Reasons I don't miss holidays: 1. The Bible says they're bad. 2. I don't care about them. 3. My mommy and daddy give me presents."—Brandi, age 6." (ugh, don't make me GAG!)

and as a final concluding point, i posted: "Do you realize jan that by engaging me in debate and watching my video that you are disobeying the direction from the society? I wonder what your elders would think of you watching my video and talking to someone who is disfellowshipped. You do realize that you can be disfellowshipped yourself for talking to me, right?

I'm also blocking you for comment spamming."

• Priest73
    Priest73

Damn. I'd like to see her response to that!!!

• XOCO
    XOCO

eh man i'm glad that u blocked her she did not have to get all rude and fussy like that it make jws look like they just want to pic a fight and not show any love and compassion to the "worldly ppl" its just so damn sad. i'm glad that u killed it right then and there!

XOCO

• integ
    integ

I'm not a big fan of pulling out the "elders would disapprove of you talking to me" card when talking with witnesses. It's like you are acknowledging that they have won the argument, because it's like the one thing to shut them up without engaging in further debate with them, and they walk away thinking that they won because of instead of continuing the discussion, you play that card.

It is correct when you tell a witness that, but they may think that it's your way of waving the white flag. In other words it's way too easy to play that card.

It definitely discourages any further discussion with them. Which I don't know is good or bad really.

• integ
    integ

Let me also say that I have ended a few arguments with witnesses in the same way, so I have not been above playing that card, but I have also seen how it can be very counter productive. Even on this forum, I have seen many times when a poster will ask a pointed question directed at active witnesses, and when the witness responds, and sticks to their "witness beliefs" the thread then goes to: "Well, do you realize that by talking to us you could be disfellowshipped?..What do you say about that?" Then the witness slinks away never to be heard from again, which defeated the whole purpose of the original post. I have seen this more than a few times, and I think it's very unfortunate when it happens; but again, I have been guilty of it myself.

Integ.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I'm not a big fan of pulling out the "elders would disapprove of you talking to me" card when talking with witnesses. It's like you are acknowledging that they have won the argument,

I disagree. It shows others just how controlled that they are. That is why I will say it every time that they comment on my page; and you know what they shut up. They don't like to be outed for talking to an apostate. I had one emailing me. I told him to stop trying to get time off of me and then blocked him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit