Survey of Religion in America

by Kinsman 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Kinsman
    Kinsman

Greetings,

I thought the information in a recent study (Graduate Center Survey of Religion in America) might be of interest to some who frequent this board.

52% percent of adults in America are Protestant, 24.5% are Catholic, and 14.1% adhere to no religion, according to the latest American Religious Identification Survey, 2001 just released by The Graduate Center of the City University of New York. Those giving their religion as Jewish are 1.3% and those as Muslim or Islamic are 0.5%.

From 1990 - 2001:
    Catholics proportion of population declines 2%
    Protestant proportion of population declines 8%
    Jewish 3.1 million to 2.8 million now giving their religion as Jewish
    Non-Christian religion rose sharply, 5.8 million to 7.7 million
    Muslim/Islamic 1.1 million -- nearly double the number in 1990

The most striking 1990-2001 comparisons is the more than doubling of the adult population identifying with no religion, from 14.3 million (8%) in 1990 to the current 29.4 million (14.1%).

More interesting tidbits:
    New York is home to more of Muslims (24%) than any other state.
    California has the highest percent of Jehovah's Witnesses
    California has the nations largest cluster of those with no religion
    Jehovah's Witnesses the highest proportion of female adherents (68%)
    Buddhists are the most independent with respect to political party preference

Link to article:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011025/nyth023_1.html

Kind Regards - Kinsman

• Mulan
    Mulan

Kinsman, your photo looks suspiciously like the Seattle skyline. Is that where you live? Me too.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Thanks for posting this Kinsman. I gussed from my own personal experience that there were more women than men in the Witnesses and this is the first offical confirmation I've seen of that.

I wonder if the number of women in the Borg is related to the integration of families and making it extremely painful to leave, whereas males choose to leave based on minimizing family influences?

I also wonder if this trend will continue in the future, leaving the congregations with an even higher percentage of women to men?

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit