ORG's Stand on Child Abuse

by Wordly Andre 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

In the press release made public addressing abuse, it states that: "However, even if the elders cannot take congregational action, they are expected to report the allegation to the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in their country, if local privacy laws permit. In addition to making a report to the branch office, the elders may be required by law to report even uncorroborated or unsubstantiated allegations to the authorities. If so, we expect the elders to comply. Additionally, the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so." Shouldn't it be that the elders MUST report the allegation of abuse to the law? So if a state has a law demanding the report of abuse the elder is forced to report, but if there are no laws they have no recourse. Shouldn't the society demand their elders to report allegations of abuse regardless of local laws making them do so? If a child went to a school teacher, off duty police officer, doctor, and reported abuse to them and it was disovered would it make it any better for them to say well the there is no law stating that we had to report this?? WTF

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

the only thing the society definitely demands them to do is the following:

they are expected to report the allegation to the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in their country

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Additionally, the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so.

And get disfellowshipped in the process. What this article doesn't tell you is that, unless there are two witnesses to the matter, the person is presumed innocent in the eyes of the congregation. Taking the matter to the police or warning others in the congregation would amount to "slander", and they will disfellowship you for "slander". That is what protects the pedophiles.

Additionally, the Watchtower Society usually seeks gag orders on the victims. That way, the victim will not report it or warn others of the abuse. Other victims are set up. And the cycle goes on.

I bet they don't require two witnesses to bust a married couple doing oral sex.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

"the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so" is this another conscience matter?? shouldn't it be that the elders help them report the matter to the authorities? in fact doesn't this suggest that if a 7 year old came to an elder, well then it's the 7 year old's right to file the police report, as elders we can't force her to! How can they get away with this, I swear they look for loopholes in everything!

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Yes, loopholes are what it's all about to them.The Society's stance is that they-and the elders-have no "fiduciary" responsibility to the members of the congregation, which is just a fancy way of saying that they don't legally owe anything to the friends and it's their own responsibility to take care of everything.Such a view is disgusting to say the least.Forget the fact that elders are supposed to be shepherds protecting the flock at all costs.

Not long before I left there was a letter to "All Bodies of Elders" specifically addressing the child abuse situation and that the Number ONE biggest concern was to ALWAYS contact the WT's legal department FIRST.It was a fairly lengthy letter but it was clear the Society was trying to cover it's butt and even went so far as to make to sure the brothers call the Society about every child molester in the cong. IF they thought they might not have previously informed them of such a situation, even if it was an older case about which the body might not have called the Society.When I reminded one of the elders ( in front of all of the other brothers) that it would likely be best to call about one of the older cases in particular, he said: "I believe they were called and that was taken care of ".It was clear that I was to just drop it.Sadly many brothers prefer to ignore it and just move on to other things which require far less effort and responsibility.I truly believe that what we currently know about child abuse and the subsequent injustice within the org is just the tip of the iceberg.

• chappy
    chappy

I'm wondering why the leadership takes this stance of secrecy in the first place? Why wouldn't any normal person no matter how they feel religiously not want to report abuse and molestation to the authorities? Do they really think that their stance is correct in the eyes of God? Are they trying to protect the "good name" (sic) of the society? Is there really a semi-organized group of pedophiles in the borg actually being protected by the leadership? Am I missing something?

chappy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The statement makes it sound like they want abuse reported, but since they leave wiggle room, what in fact happens is just the opposite. The elders know if it is reported, it may become known in the community (thus bringing shame upon Jah), and they know it will become known in the congregation, causing talk and contention. Easier to just decide they don't need to. And other children are put at risk becasue they are all wussies

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    I'm wondering why the leadership takes this stance of secrecy in the first place?

I think it all stems from the Watchtowers bold statements thruout its history that it is the only TRUE religion led by Jesus himself as king , allowed to use gods name and that all other religions are "false" religions led by Satan, so of course in those other religions you will see horrible things happening like priests molesting children . It just wouldnt happen in the Only TRUE religion because they have gods holy spirit unlike the other religions. so when bad issues such as pedophilia, mismanagement of organizational funds ( ie: the convention parking lot scandal), joining the UN as an NGO and other potential bad publicity that may expose them for not being led by god anymore than any other religion they tried to hide it as a way of controlling its members. In this information age however, it's being harder and harder to maintain that stance of being "seperate" from other religions and appearing to be led by Jesus as king.

• chappy
    chappy

What is it about pedophilia in the congregation being exposed that bugs them so much? They sure don't mind exposing and kicking out adulterers, fornicators, self abusers or apostates! If they're so concerned about protecting the "good name" of the organization why are these other "sins" treated any differently?

chappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit