The Gift of Default

by WTWizard 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here it is again, Christmas time. People are thinking about gifts and giving. They are worried about giving something tacky, regifting, or inappropriate. But, there is one "gift" that is the tackiest, the most inappropriate, the wimpiest of them all. No, it is not a Christmas gift either.

How many times have you heard about the gift of marriage? Each time Kingdumb Malady 117 comes up, you are told that being married is a gift from Jehovah. The tacky part is, that if you are not married, you are automatically single by default. And Jehovah calls THAT a "gift", too! If you are not one (which would have been one gift), you are the other (another "gift"). So, this puts Jehovah is a situation where He could not lose.

I have seen my share of tacky Christmas gifts in my life. But, none of them are as tacky as the "gift" of singleness. Worse, there is no way I can take that "gift(????????????????)" back for an exchange or at least get my damn money back. If you ever get a Christmas gift that you do not like or seems inappropriate for you, at least you can regift it or return or exchange it. Jehovah's "gifts(??)" are never able to be regifted or returned.

Talk about Almighty Cheap! Jehovah doesn't even have to do anything (or He can actively interfere with your finding happiness) and still call Himself generous. Then He wonders why I am as stingy when it comes to going to His boasting sessions or going out in field circus.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Wizard,

You are in good company. I have this 'gift' as well. But, when I see what some people are married to, I sometimes think the gift isn't so bad.

LHG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had the "gift of singleness". Later I had the "gift of marriage" for 16 years. Now I have the "gift of singleness" again.

Jehovah has been very generous to me.

W

• UU Now
    UU Now

I've had the gift of (post-marriage) singleness for 10+ years. It took me a while to figure out how to enjoy it, and early on in that time I would happily have exchanged it. But at this point in my life, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I suppose that could change if I met "just the right person." But as it is, I'm just happy that my personality and upbringing (JW's aside, mom was big on emotional independence) allows me to be enjoy beling alone and enjoy my own company. Not being afraid of being alone has saved me a world of hurt.

• Priest73
    Priest73

I have the gift of Divorce...

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

When I looked at that Scripture, this point always impressed upon my mind:

it takes work to do each of them. Neither is a curse or a blessing in themselves. The gift of singleness implies being single and it not being a problem for you, as with the gift of marriage. Most people don't have the gift of marriage.

• UU Now
    UU Now
    it takes work to do each of them. Neither is a curse or a blessing in themselves. The gift of singleness implies being single and it not being a problem for you, as with the gift of marriage.

Very well put! When I divorced, one of my aunts said of marriage, "When it works, it's the best way to live. When it doesn't, it's the worst." You could say the same about singleness, I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit