How do you hook up all of your home computers?

by MsMcDucket 7 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I would like to make it so that I can log on to any computer in the house from my computer. I've got my wireless system hooked up; so everyone can use the Linksys. I, also, have them with the regular wires (USB ports). They kept complaining about the wireless being too slow.

Anyway, I just want a hub so that I can use certain programs on their computers and vice versa. Anybody, know how to do that?

• KW13
    KW13

The problem with sharing some programs is that they require an individual license key, valid only on each machine whether or not you have access to the files because this information is buried inside what is known as the 'registry'. There are Applications for Remote Controlling other Workstations. To get a true Application Sharing System setup, you'd probably have to use a Server (install Server rather than XP/Vista on your machine) and that then involves setting up some complicated permissions, scripts etc. Its not always an entirely easy process, although i have a feeling someone out there will have made an application to do what you ask nothing comes to mind. Sharing the INSTALLATION FILES however is a different matter and would allow you to share those, so for example if you had a valid key you could install Photoshop by clicking 'setup.exe' that is on freds pc from your pc via file sharing.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have 7 computers networked using a gigabit ethernet switch and gigabit network adaptors. One box is a Windows 2003 server. Depending on what I want to do, I use either remote desktop or Dameware NT utilities for remote control. If I want to run the same application on several computers in identical environments, I install it on a VMWare virtual machine which I copy to each computer.

I haven't tried this setup for gaming because I'm not a gamer. I don't think this setup would perform well for gaming.

W

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Remote Desktop (built into WIndows) will get you onto any of the other machines. It shows the other computers desktop in a window on your screen. You then have complete control of the remote PC as if you were sitting at it. If the remote connection is configured properly, you can even share drives, the clip board, printers, etc. between the two. With proper file sharing setup, you could easily transfer documents back and forth. Depending on your network speed, it can be fairly good response time. I usually have 2-5 remote desktop connections going at any one time at work so that I can manage my servers. It isn't difficult to setup at all.

Find the My Computer icon. Right click and select "Properties". Pick the "Remote" tab. In the middle of that screen click the box that says, "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". That enables the computer to accept the Remote Desktop connection from other machines. Every computer should be set to not bypass the Welcome Screen. You want to have password protected accounts.

To login to the remote machine, go Start -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop Connection

From there you get a prompt for the target computer. There are a couple of ways to do it: by computer name, or by IP address. Either way, you will need to supply the user account and password of the remote system.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to set it up. I shouldn't have to have a scanner or printer for every computer. One should be enough.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

You can share the printer, then be able to print from any machine. I have mine on a wireless print server...works great.

• knock knock
    knock knock

Lately I'm very tempted to hook all FIVE of them together with binding wire wrapped up good and tight and sling the damned things to the bottom of a frigid lake where they %@$#*&% belong!!! And if I had a Mac it'd be right there with 'em!!!

• DocBob
    DocBob

We are mostly wireless. We have two desktops wired to the wireless router along with the cable modem. We have two wireless laptops and a wireless printer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit