Surviving the Upcoming Assembly - December 2007 2 Day Assembly

by BBOARD 7 Replies latest jw friends

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

Well, the Norco Assembly for JW’s around Los Angeles is coming up soon. For the Crenshaw Congregation and most of Los Angeles it is on December 15 and the 16th of 2007. For the sake of your hounding family still in, keeping the peace, a slow “fade” still in progress, personal guilt, nothing better to do etc. … how many of us will be attending?

I will be one of those in attendance because all my family will expect it, they still think I believe it all … just last week two brothers said I was “making fine spiritual progress for a young man my age (I am 20 now), “Brother Hounder” (who happens to be my uncle) will be on my ass if I don’t. I was raised to be as JW as you can possibly be. My mom came in first and is the most nutty JW you ever want to meet – true she works and brings home a real decent salary but besides that she fully devoted to the WTS. My uncle who came in second is the P.O. of Crenshaw Congregation (He also is the one who told me that Satan Devil has his demons around college campuses inducing “immoral behavior” i.e. Don’t go to college) He brought all of my immediate family from Virginia to Los Angeles in the 1970’s and within two years CONverted them all. His wife is now a full time pioneer. She slowly brought all of her family from DC to Los Angeles and one by one CONverted them until there is only one left now (BTW the lone “worldly” sister “J” is the only cool one I remember from childhood). From early childhood I knew something was up with this cult. Growing up I saw and kind of envied witness kids who at least had some family not in … you know like a little break that you got when visiting them … well I don’t … oh well …

Several things will keep me alive (though maybe not awake)

1. Doodling on the program

2. Intermission lunch is always a treat

It feels kind of “devious” (in a good way) knowing that I am going in “undercover”. Being raised in “The Truth” from youth up, having my childhood regulated by the JW mindset, and ultimately the severe confused/guilt feelings and thoughts I felt when I first left. About a month after I got out it hit me - I had recurring visions that “no matter what evidence is against the JW org it still is right because all negative evidence originates from “the bird catcher (Satan)” who has “superhuman intelligence” to mislead you away from the only true org. But I still knew it wasn’t so I sucked it up and moved on. I no longer have any fear whatsoever anymore ... sometime slight anger for the years wasted. I view myself as having earned the right to be called an apostate. I have no guilt or fear that Armageddon will suddenly come while a brother is in the middle of giving his talk and then Jehovah will strike me down.

From my personal perspective it kind of sucks ass to see some of the wild brothers / attractive sisters who I know came in from the world slowly start to loose the “wordly” drive and attitude they once had. I have been in so long I have seen this happen enough times - the progression from their first assemly to how they act at their next - until some are just a shell of their former selves.

• erandir
    erandir

Here's my tip for surviving it: Don't go. That's worked well for me for the past 2 years. Don't worry about the hounders. Just tell them to bug off (in a polite but firm way, of course). Play the depression card, if you need an excuse. I'm sure you feel depressed about living a lie, don't you?

• 5go
    5go
    From my personal perspective it kind of sucks ass to see some of the wild brothers / attractive sisters who I know came in from the world slowly start to loose the “worldly” drive and attitude they once had. I have been in so long I have seen this happen enough times - the progression from their first assembly to how they act at their next - until some are just a shell of their former selves.

The thing that really sucks is when they have a touchy worldly interest you share like fast cars, guns, or video games. You want to talk about that stuff but you don't want a hounder on your ass about not talking about those mythical spiritual things.

BTW what in the heck where we supposed to be talking about at when not being droned by the podium. I can't ever figure that out. When I went around looking for the people talking about spiritual things they all are talking about sports, Jobs; or their, or others horrible lives.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife and I are in your circuit. U will not find us there as we haven't been to an assembly in 4 years.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

At your age, you are just beginning your journey. Don't waste a lifetime on this nonsense. Grow some nads and stand up to what you believe. There is too much to enjoy out there. All they really want is your wallet. Chreish your freedom. You will miss it if you lose it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here are a few "rules" if you must go:

(1) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU DONATE EVEN A PENNY TO THE WORLDWIDE PEDOPHILE DEFENSE FUND! They are going to have that deficit. So be it. I don't care if you have a billion dollars to throw away. Just about any worldly charity is better than the Watchtower Society. If you must donate something, I suggest a blank piece of paper with links to apostate web sites. If you can find those Zero Dollar Bills and Void Checks, or put in a check and void it yourself (and put a message on the check in addition to voiding it; alter the routing number for added security), those will do. Otherwise, put nothing at all in the contribution boxes.

(2) Take something to distract you during the program. As long as it is discreet, no one has any business in hounding you. If you bring in some worldly reading material or a video game with headphones, that should not distract others. If the hounders get after you about it, you have one more excuse to not go to the next a$$embly (plus some more food for this forum).

(3) Under no circumstances should you agree to any "privileges", whether at this a$$embly or in the future. Do not accept any assignments. Do not lift a finger to clean the dump after. Do not sign up for anything. If you get volunteered, try to come up with some wimpy excuse. If they sign you up for something, then you will need to put information on the application such as checking "Yes" when it asks if you listen to rap or heavy metal (whether it's true or not). If you cannot get out of an assignment, then do the crappiest job you can. That will likely be the last time they ever volunteer you, especially if you then remark that you told them you cannot complete the task.

(4) Try to miss the meeting following the a$$embly. I bet that if you go to that meeting, you will be hounded even more to stay in. They might bust you, or worse try to coerce you into pioneering. If you are single without family, there is a good chance that someone will try to mentor force you to go along with them. You are better off to miss it.

(5) Try to stay away from the other hounders in your congregation while at the a$$embly. You are going solely for family sake. If your uncle tries to arrange a meeting with the other hounders or seats you in a group of others that should help hound you back, then there is a good chance you will have to get "sick" and "have to leave". The more hounders you have within your congregation trying to help hound you, the more chance there is that they will coerce you into doing something that will have you fully immersed in the cult.

Of course, it might not be possible to follow these rules. To the extent that you are able, you will be able to maintain a low profile while still getting to see your family. And you will be able to bring something to distract yourself while everyone else is sleeping, puking, or getting that headache. (I recommend taking a couple of magnesium pills before and a couple more at intermission to reduce the chance of getting a headache). However, if you can do nothing else, I strongly suggest at least not donating any money or goods to the organization.

If you have the money and simply must donate it, and you are able to do so, then I suggest using it for Christmas. If that is not possible, the Salvation Army and the Red Cross are looking for donations that will be used to help people that have fallen into hard times due to disasters and circumstances beyond their control. Which is much better than protecting pedophiles and silencing their victims.

• metatron
    metatron

Listen to me: You have a migraine. You must lie down in a quiet place. You can't attend.

metatron

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

If it's summer where you are - keep the shades on, no one will notice your eyes are closed.

I haven't been to an assembly in 3 years - here in S.Africa they used to hold them in this huge outdoor stadium and our summers here are extremely hot ( you can literally fry and egg on your car ) So always stuffy, sticky, tired and all you wanted to do was leave and head off to the beach ( sometimes, well near the end, we used to leave at lunch and return for the last 20 min of the last talk )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit