Some confusion about a JW friend's take on holidays.

by whyizit 6 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

My friend is a self-proclaimed JW, actively involved in FS, all the mmetings, assemblies, etc...., but as of yet, not baptized.

She told me a few of years ago that she no longer was going to participate in anything that had to do with Christmas, birthdays, etc.....

We have had some pretty deep (yet, peaceful) conversations about the blood topic, holidays, and 607BC. Along with other conversations on other subjects.

THIS year, sor the first time in a LONG time, she called to wish me a Happy Birthday on my birthday.

She celebrated Thanksgiving with her family. Now she mentioned that she was hoping to take the day off for her birthday. YET, in nearly the same breath, she told me she is going to an assembly Sat.!

Can someone advise me as to what all this might mean? All of the sudden "birthday" isn't the dirty word it used to be, yet she is still in over her head in the WT activities. Should I take this as a sign that she is questioning a few things?

Just hoped that maybe someone could give me an idea of what might be going on with her. I try to avoid saying any holiday "word", because I don't want her to think I'm a pagan idolatrous demon possessed freak. But then she comes up with this stuff, and I am getting a little confused!

• carla
    carla

Heck if I know! All I know is my jw gets mixed up half the time too. He does get the no holiday thing though.

• blondie
    blondie

Jehovah's Bystander
    One who {associates} with Jehovah's people for years, but never takes a stand for the {Truth}. Such people sometimes deceive themselves with false reasoning into believing they are Jehovah's Witnesses. (Compare Jam 1:22.) A statement frequently heard among Witnesses about persons of this disposition is <<He knows it's the truth, but he doesn't want to accept the responsibility.>>

http://www.jehovah.to/glos/=J.html

*** w88 2/1 p. 20 par. 20 Will You Be a Witness for the True God? ***Will you be a witness for the true God? Will you take your stand for true worship and avoid sharing the bloodguilt and moral culpability of this world and its false gods? God’s Word urges: "Get out of her [Babylonish false worship], my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues." (Revelation 18:4) Yes, "get out," take action before it is too late! Do not be like the man who, when asked about his religious preference by a Catholic magazine, said: "I guess I’m a Jehovah’s Bystander. I believe pretty much what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe—but I don’t want to get involved."
    *** w88 3/15 pp. 11-12 par. 7 Trust in Jehovah Leads to Dedication and Baptism ***Yet, how few today put their trust in Jehovah! Even many who have learned of his qualities and exploits fail to place their trust in him. An article appearing in the journal U.S.Catholic (January 1979) says of one such person: "When the pollster asked the man his religious preference, he replied, ‘I guess I’m a Jehovah’s Bystander.’ Invited to elaborate he explained, ‘I believe pretty much what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe—but I don’t want to get involved.’" The magazine commented: "A dedicated Jehovah’s Witness has no choice but to get deeply involved."
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

My JW bud wants some of my wife's Christmas cookies. Shaped like trees and bells. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe he doesn't realize they are Christmas bakings. Should I say anything or wait 'till he wolfs them down!

• Mum
    Mum

Blondie nailed it. There are countless "Jehovah's bystanders." Many of them are members of my family. They can't take on the burdens of being a fully committed JW. So they remain unbaptized so they can go either way without consequences. If your friend were baptized, she would lose the freedom to do what she wishes without serious consequences - being shunned, for example.

Just the other day, my sister told me of an obituary she read which stated that the deceased "was of the Jehovah's Witness faith. She enjoyed playing Bingo." A witness would shudder at reading that. Most of us here would laugh!

Regards,

SandraC

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Why not form a break away sect and call it that. After all most of the stuff is good living. It's all the nutty stuff that comes along with it that significantly reduces their credibility. Call it one of "God's Chosen".

• whyizit
    whyizit

I guess she is making some progress, because about a year ago she was diving head long in to the whole she-bang!

However, as a "Bystander", how long will her JW friends put up with it? I mean, isn't it their job to make sure she commits and becomes baptized? Won't they put they be putting the pressure on?

Her guru has spent 10 years indoctrinating her.

I would think it is very frustrating to spend all that time "liking" someone, just to have them backing out at the last minute! What's next?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit