Paypal spoofs

by freydi 6 Replies latest jw friends

• freydi
    freydi

Beware of suspicious emails coming from paypal. I got hit this morning. The following is response from paypal after reporting...............

Thanks for taking an active role by reporting suspicious-looking emails.
    The email you forwarded to us is a phishing email, and our security team
    is working to disable it.

-------------------------
    What is a phishing email?
    Phishing emails attempt to steal your identity and will often ask you to
    reveal your password or other personal or financial information. PayPal
    will never ask for your password over the phone or in an email and will
    always address you by your first and last name.

Take our Fight Phishing Challenge at
    https://www.paypal.com/fightphishing to learn 5 things you should know
    about phishing. You'll also see what we're doing to help fight fraud
    every day.

You've made a difference.
    Every email counts. By forwarding a suspicious-looking email to
    [email protected], you've helped keep yourself and others safe from
    identity theft.

Thanks,

The PayPal Team

5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118

Original Message Follows:------------------------

• brinjen
    brinjen

I did hear a tip a while back when you receive an email asking to confirm your banking details (like acc no and password) to actually respond to the email but give false information (ie Account Name: SuckedInLoser Password:yourbusted.

If there are enough attempts to access false accounts from the same location, this can sometimes (depending on the bank) trip their security system to trace where they are coming from.

• badboy
    badboy

HOW ABOUT SENING THE OLLOWING.

AC NAME;IAMNOTASUCKER

PASSWORD;PARASITE

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Oh we get so many of these emails at work allegedly from banks saying click on the link and confirm your account details!

We actually got one the other week from "our own bank" offering finance to small businesses and it really did look legit - all the official headers, reference and 'links' to an appropriate Government department, all the small print at the bottom...

The only thing wrong with it was that when cash amounts were mentioned, it wasn't a £ sign - it was whatever it usually gets replaced with - a bit like a Euro sign but not.

I printed a copy and took it into the bank and they put it straight through to their internet fraud people. Haven't seen any more like it since

I did discover that if you run your mouse pointer over the links these emails provide (don't click!) and read what it's linked to in the bottom grey line (on IE7) it often is only an IP number rather than the full website address of the bank - and if there's more than one link like there was in mine, they are all going to exactly the same page too.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I wouldn't click on any of the links in emails like these.You run the risk of them putting some kind of program on your computer that copys everything you type.How many people on here use their computer to home bank??They could get your info that way with out you knowing it at all.My sugestion is to delete these emails with out even opening them.Your bank knows about these phishing emails and they don't normaly email customers.

I get them and I block them as spam all the time.

• poppers
    poppers

I've gotten a bunch of those from Paypal. I knew they were phishing since I don't even have a Paypal account.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I almost got screwed by these phishing emails. I get the ones from Paypal and Ebay a lot. The links in the emails go to a spoof site that looks legitimate, but keeps a database of people's details.

The best thing to do is report them to the REAL site, then click on the links in the email and fill their database full of fake details

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit