At the gates...

by carla 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• carla
    carla

skeeder brought this up and I have been saying that to my jw for years now, these things were done in public at the gates (re: wrongdoing) My jw never seems to have a good answer for me. He claims that it would be gossip to have jc's in public or for anybody to know what goes on. At times my jw does not have the correct party wt line and I do not recall a wt that deals with this issue of 'at the gates'. I suppose they could say that the announcement from the platform is the equivalent to the 'at the gates' but clearly that is not the case. The public could hear and decide for themselves who was in the wrong or right. What is the correct party line explanation?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Carla, back in bible days they were publicly reproved, I imagine it was all very public and out in the open. Of course you know the real reason why the JW's dont do this? because they could be sued for slander, thus the public reproofs really arent public or else the WT Society could lose money. The Watchtower Society picks and chooses what it wants, based on the legal issues.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The last time the Society did a public trial and published the results, they got sued and lost.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Which makes you wonder about freedom of religion. Why couldnt the society play that card and win the case. If they can be sued under these circumstances, why not others?

• blondie
    blondie

Of note, the Bible Students on the rare occasions they do have meetings re serious sins of members, the whole baptized membership attend and vote as to whether they are to be disciplined or not. But they still talk to them, just not about scriptural things.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I wonder why the bible students have been allowed to get away with it. It just seems like the government picks and chooses what rights to give different religions. No consistency.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"The only rights you truly have are those that you will fight for." -- Octarine Prince

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit