Movie "The Mist"

by pratt1 7 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

I saw the movie The Mist this weekend.

I was surprized at how good it was.

It is based on a novel by Stephen King, how does that guy continue to crank out novels and movies?

If you like thrillers this is a good movie to see.

I won't spoil it for you, but the ending is a shocker!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Is it scary or gory? I hate those kinds of movies.

• pratt1
    pratt1

It's scary with some gore.

I would compare it to the gore in the movie "Carrie".

Not the kind of gore you see in slasher flicks.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the tip.

It looks cool.

• tula
    tula

I would compare it to the gore in the movie "Carrie".

In an early scene in the movie Carrie, her mother is taking religious literature to a neighbors house and the neighbor woman gives her a couple of dollars for it to get rid of her and get her out the door. Was Carrie's mother supposed to be a Jehovahs Witness? Is it based on religious implication as to why they dumped the bucket of blood on Carrie?

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I read Carrie when it first came out and I was still in the Kult. I was convinced that it was the authors intention to portray them as dubs. This was one of many things that made me start to think about what this Kult was about, King showed me how outsiders viewed the JWs. Of course a GOOD little dubby wouldn't be reading King anyway, but I always had a very open and inquisitive mind and books of all sorts were my escape from the mind numbing drone at the sales meetings . . .

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

The ending (which was not in the novella) was the perfect example of an EC comics ending (or Twilight Zone). Which is appropriate since King was a big fan of EC Comics.

King endorsed the new ending, stating that if he had thought of it himself, he would have used it himself.

• dinah
    dinah

"carrie" was the first Stephen King novel I ever read. I was in the 7th grade. Carrie's mom did remind me of a rabid JW, but she was worse than any I ever knew. Stephen King likes poking fun at religious zealots.

I could identify with Carrie. "Their all gonna laugh at you".

It's still one of my favorite books to this day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit