"The Savages" New Movie about caring for your OLD, FORGETFUL parents

by Magick 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• Magick
    Magick

Many of us are at the age where we have or are currently caring for our aged parents. Some of us have to deal with them not even remembering who we are....that we are their children.... because of some old person's disease.

If you've read my recent posts, you'll know that I recently have had some strong emotions come up because of this. I received some good advice and a lot of love & compassion from people who have been where i'm at or at least could certainly empathize.

We as former Jehovah's Witnesses & Jehovah's Witnesses have even more tension added to the aging situation. Family ties are strained under the heavy hand of the Watchtower Religious Rules of Disfellowshipping and Shunning.

Some where along the line we will have to come together with brothers or sisters or other relatives we haven't spoken with in a long, long time...in order to deal with the care of our parents.

I just heard the advertisment for a new movie "The Savages" which is about with this very thing.

"An engrossing family drama about old age, nursing homes, dementia, death and siblings trying to forge a new bond with each other."

alt

So far, it's getting good reviews. But, i'm sure not from those who don't want to deal with this issue. It starts today where I'm at...and sometime in January in the UK. Let me know what you think.

Official site:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thesavages/

• erynw
    erynw

This hits too close to home for me. My parents are in their early 80's. They are still very sharp minded though, especially my dad. He's never had an unspoken thought. But that's what makes him cool!

My thoughts are with you Magick.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

When I worked at the hospitol in the MRI dept many elderly were brought by their Kids.

You could almost tell the family history by the treatment I observed in the few minutes I would check them in.

You could tell the families where the children were dearly loved as they cherished their parent and treated them with dignity and respect, they wanted to help Mom or Dad.

The ones that came in out of obligation.....Not really bitter just inconvenienced....Loved Mom and Dad, but probably did not like them very much.

There were some that were downright mean, and it was horrible to see. Sometimes meanness coming from both places, kids and parents. At least they were caring for the family as many elderly came in with no one, only a paid nurse.

Hope things are going better for you

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit