Is this a breach of Christian Neutrality?

by jefferywhat 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

This is an oldie but a goodie, and it begs a question.

http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/joint/commttee/j2444.pdf

For any witnesses in Australia, we would be used to the little guy with the Canadian accent brought over here by the society to sort out the post war issues in Aus bethel, we were selling and swapping stuff with the army, I actually think one of the Bethel boys get shot by mistake.

The other guy, Vin Toole is the loud obnoxious guy that used to appear at DC, less and less though Ive noticed.

Anyway, I dont have a strong opinion here, but what is the definition of neutrality? Its obviously a noun and means an impartial and uninvolved country or person, so where does it start and stop.

Is the society getting involved with law makers, legislators and senate enquires over stepping the mark or is it fine?

Is there a difference between having a say by ballot box or in a government initiated enquiry?

Is this an old subject already flogged?

• penny2
    penny2

jefferywhat, welcome to JWD. That was interesting reading.

http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/joint/commttee/j2444.pdf

I haven't seen this before - the document is a transcript of a government enquiry into "Australia's efforts to promote and protect freedom of religion and belief."

The WTS representatives highlighted two examples of "religious discrimination" in Australia - laws permitting blood transfusions to be administered to minors without parental consent and the way adoption laws are applied to JWs. I guess they are both seasoned speakers so put their point of view across effectively.

To answer your question, I guess this wouldn't violate their rules on neutrality - note a comment in the WT of 15 March 1986:

Lesson for Us: Like the Jews of Esther’s day, Jehovah’s Witnesses properly appeal to governments and courts for protection from enemies.
  • yesidid
    yesidid

Did you notice that MacLean and Toole were there in their role as representatives of the Watchtower Society of Australia which was/is an NGO's

associated with the public relations department of the United Nations.

3. the most effective means by which the Australian government and NGOs can promote freedom of

religion in the region and around the world.

• penny2
    penny2

Yes, I did. Did you also notice the WTS representative's opening words:

I would like to express appreciation for coming before the committee. Most religions espouse principles of tolerance and morality and thus the free practice of religion can promote stability within a community.

What's ironic is the lack of tolerance shown by JWs towards those who wish to leave. No "free practice of religion" for them. And yes, this policy promotes instability in families.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The Watchtower Society hypocritically forbids its members from getting involved in politics, but Mother Org's hands have been caught in the pot several times.

I wish with every bone in my body that their Tax Exempt status will be revoked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit