How many Fundamentalists study other beliefs?

by blueviceroy 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Do dyed in the wool believers ever look beyond the borders of what they are taught?

How many people go to the grave having been exposed to only one school of thought?

That is the real crime , ignorance and lack of choice, not any particular belief.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Or study a straw man version, remember that book the WTS had a few years ago that presented other faiths? Even at that time I knew that was kinda a lame joke...and I STILL couldn't get on my own.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

blueviceroy,

The problem with the way fundamentalists of any religious denomination (or political party for that matter) "study", is that they start all study with a conclusion. It is true that many expend enormous amounts of time and energy in this type of "study" (just check any YEC website). I suspect that those who opposed Galileo showed a similar zeal for this method of study.

Another problem is that I have yet to meet a fundamentalist who describes themselves as such. Of course, they admit that lunatic fundamentalists exist, but somehow it is not themselves, even though their views are completely in the fundamentalist camp.

After WWII there was an adage that slipped around Europe among those who had to interrogate captured Nazi's and this was that the Western Front was manned by five soldiers on bicycles, while the remaining German Forces took part in Operation Barbarrosa. No soldier wanted to admit to fighting anything but Communism, as this was the enemy of the hour. It was the politics of convenience, and religionists are not immune from such convenient dishonesty.

We have a few such intellectually dishonest posters on this site.

HS

• 5go
    5go

Military chaplins do I think

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Or study a straw man version

Remember the book quite well. "Mankinds Search for God" I offered the book to a person I knew once and he basically replied that he didn't want to study about other religions from places other than the source of the belief. I had no reply being that JWs cry all the time about how people should find out about JWs from nobody expect JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit