When is the last time you saw the term "Society" in the WT?

by Bonnie_Clyde 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Other than in the front of the magazine, they are completely avoiding it. One of the recent magazines referred to the "Finished Mystery" published by Jehovah's Witnesses. They weren't even known as Jehovah's Witnesses back then.

• Nick!
    Nick!

To my knowledge, since Russel's time. I can still remember the reference he himself makes in his days' litterature.

I have always seen the term "Society" in the WT pubblications since I was a kid back in the 40th.

In fact, what has happended is the opposite. Now since I would say around 1975, they prefer to refer to the Organization, the FDS or the GB, since the term "Society" now solely refers to the legal entity, whereas in the past, in spite of the fact that Russel said that the Society was a commercial entity, it was referred to as "we" refer to today to the GB.

Nick!

• blondie
    blondie
    *** w03 11/1 p. 21 Taught by Jehovah From My Youth ***On January 8, 1942, Joseph Rutherford, who had been taking the lead among Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide, died. Five days later the directors of the Society elected Brother Knorr to succeed him. When W. E. Van Amburgh, the Society’s longtime secretary-treasurer, announced this to the Bethel family,

*** w01 1/15 "A Masterpiece of a Project" ***Demetrius Papageorge, long a member of the Society’s headquarters staff, commented: "The ‘Photo-Drama’ was a masterpiece of a project, when we consider the small number of Bible Students and the proportionately small amount of finances available. It really had Jehovah’s spirit behind it!"The "Eureka Drama"Eight months after the premiere of the "Photo-Drama," the Society saw the need to provide another version of it called the "Eureka Drama."

*** km 1/01 p. 2 Service Meeting Schedule ***
    25min: Loving Provisions for Our Health Care. Talk by a qualified elder, based on the December 1, 2000, letter and outline from the Society. Emphasize that the best possible legal protection against unwanted transfusions is achieved by filling out both the Advance Medical Directive/Release card and the Society’s health-care durable power of attorney (DPA) form.

be (2002, Ministry School Book, most recent) p.73CommunicatingThroughLetters***

The Watch Tower Society’s address should never be used for this purpose, as this would improperly indicate that your correspondence was sent from the Society’s offices and would cause confusion. If no return address is provided and literature is included, this too may give the wrong impression that the Society is the sender.

It has dropped since 2001 and is found most in biographies of jws.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

It just irritates the daylights out of me when the they state that a certain book is "published by Jehovah's Witnesses." I was known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses at least until I quit "publishing" in 2000. I was never involved in publishing any books. They are just trying to make it look like this was a collective effort.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

*** yb05 p. 70 Tahiti ***

In 1955 a call went out inviting Kingdom publishers to serve where the need was greater

That, from my 2005 WT compact disc. That expression was still alive and well at that time.

Ironically, it was this year when I became a "publisher". I still recall the feeling of importance when some of the brothers came up to me and asked, "How does it feel, brother Miller, to finally be a Publisher?" Little did I realize it was nothing more than pandering .

Pandering works with the dense, the green, illiterate, inexperienced, mindless, misinformed, moronic, naive, oblivious, obtuse, sappy, shallow, unaware, unenlightened, uninformed, unread, unschooled, unsuspecting, untaught, untrained, unwitting, and finally, the witless.

Len Miller

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

In respect for the proper legal term, I call the organization the Watchtower Corporation.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    "In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach." In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect." (The Watchtower, 3/15 1998, p. 19 par. 4)
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think that quote says it all German XJW. They are trying to avoid the 'cult' label, at the same time making the local Jw's think they have decided for themselves to believe the insanity that issues from Crooklyn, and that somehow they are not forced to accept all those teachings. Bullshit I say!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit