witness thanksgiving!

by inkling 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling

lets hear it for witness thanksgiving parties!

My wife and I got invited to an elder's house Thursday evening for a full Turkey dinner with all the fixings. There were about 20 others from the congregation. One of the other present elders sons (7 yrs old) is like "is this a thanksgiving meal" The father goes "No. We are thankful everyday." eat your turkey. It's like it's such a soft-core holiday everyone can do it and just wink and grin. I found this all very amusing until it struck me how hypocritical the whole thing is. [ink]
  • RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

inkling

I was invited to my aunt's house where they had an early ''book study'' around 4:00 p.m. and dinner right after. I declined because they make fun of my wife who is a non-witness. My wife takes our kids to her mothers home for the usual Thanksgiving dinner. My witness family always remind me the fact that my wife celebrates a pagan holiday.

They reason that since everyone is off from work, they can all get together on Thanksgiving. What do they serve? They have beef,chicken,and a small turkey. They make sure that it's a small turkey and that it's cut up before it's brought to the table. That way they aren't really celebrating Thanksgiving.

When my mom and her sisters worked at a factory,they would each receive a turkey for the holiday. What would they do with the turkey? They cooked it the day after Thanksgiving so it wouldn't look like they celebrated a pagan holiday.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What 'worldly' people do on Thanksgiving:

Get together with family

Eat turkey

Watch Football

What JW's do on Thanksgiving:

Get together with family

Eat turkey

Watch Football

• changeling
    changeling

Meanwhile I cooked a ham so as not to offend my parents.

However, I did use John Doe's recipe, so I guess is was "apostate ham".

If my parents only knew! LOL

changeling

• White Dove
    White Dove

IT'S NOT PAGAN!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Apostate ham, I love it! Sounds delicious:)

• White Dove
    White Dove

I wonder what they have to eat for Christmas. I'm planning a Christmas/Yule dinner at my house:)

• yknot
    yknot

Yep, even my bookstudy( Thursdays) was changed to Friday night. LOL

• Warlock
    Warlock

When I heard this was done every year, I couldn't believe it, me being a converted heathen.

Oh well, I guess 'When in Rome, do as the Romans'..............

Warlock

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

I had the non-thanksgiving dinner with the JW family.

Turkey, mashed potato's, green bean casserole

They even watched the parade......but they don't celebrate holidays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit