Champagne Bottle Sizes. What's the Theme?

by Clam 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Champagne bottles come in a variety of sizes and are given specific names. Can anyone from the JWD brain trust suggest what the naming theme is?

Nabuchadnezzar (20 bottles) Nebuchadnezzar, originally nabu-kudurri-usur meaning "Nabu protect the boundary," became King of the Chaldean Empire in 604 BC.

Balthazar (16 bottles) Balthazar ("King of Treasures") is the traditional name of one of the Three Wise Men, the other two being Melchior ("King of Light") and Gaspar ("The White One").

Salmanazar (12 bottles) Shalmaneser (alternatively spelled Salmanazar) was an Assyrian monarch who reigned around 1250 BC.

Methuselah (8 bottles) Methuselah was an antediluvian patriarch described in the Old Testament as having lived 969 years and whose name is synonymous with great age. He may well have evolved from a character of earlier Sumerian legend who lived for 65,000 years.

Rehoboam (6 bottles) A son of Solomon, Rehoboam (meaning "the clan is enlarged" according to Willard Espy) became king of Judah in 933 BC.

Jereboam (4 bottles) Jeroboam (actually Jeroboam II), was the King of Israel during the year of Rome's founding (753 BC)

Magnum (2 Bottles) A fictional American TV detective of the 1980s played by Tom Selleck.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I'll drink to your new avatar!

purps

• Clam
    Clam

Thanks Purps.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I'll drink to your new avatar!

purps

Me too- I love Liam

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LMAO @ magnum!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think it was called a magnum before the television show ever existed

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

The mega ships from Royal Carribean have a Nebuchadnezzar displayed as one enters the champaign bar. Was at a party once where one these large bottles was being poured. I did not partake. But as to other sacrement some fine herb was also offered I did partake but I did not inhale!

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

Wine, especially champagne were produced by the french monks, hence they had used biblical names/Jewish names to describe the bottle sizes.

Solomon is larger than a Nebuchadnezzar 28 litres (40% more), and Melchizedek is twice the size of a Nebuchadnezzar that is 40 litres.

If anyone can polish of a Melchizedek bottle by themselves, must have drinking problem.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Balthazar (16 bottles) Balthazar ("King of Treasures") is the traditional name of one of the Three Wise Men, the other two being Melchior ("King of Light") and Gaspar ("The White One").

More relevant is the fact that Baltasar is the name "Belshazzar" in the Greek version of Daniel, who is presented in that book as an inferior successor of Nebuchadnezzar.

Salmanazar (12 bottles) Shalmaneser (alternatively spelled Salmanazar) was an Assyrian monarch who reigned around 1250 BC.

Well, that would be the case with Shalmaneser I, but the dude the bottle is named after would have to be Shalmaneser V (727-722 BC), who deported the population of Samaria (as Nebuchadnezzar deported the population of Judah), according to the OT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit