Understanding apostacy....I just dont feel like one

by oompa 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

So when an elder friend informed me they were concerned my thinking may be headed towards Apostacy, I reminded him I had never said anything bad against the Society, sure had no teachings of my own, nor wanted any followers, just answers. Also reminded him that all my research was WT material based, and the problems/contridictions I had found were troubling for that very reason. He agreed that I had stayed on pretty safe ground.

But when I looked into it a bit more, it could easily go either way. Really ANYONE who leaves JW for ANY reason could be deemed an apostate by the first highlighted definition below....just drifting away would do it. It does not have to be the "drawing other away" mentioned also.

But I found a interesting loophole with this part: religious defection; a withdrawal or abandonment of the true cause, .....I gotta tell you guys, I have defected, stood away from, and abandoned what I previously professed, but none of that was actually part of the TRUE CAUSE! There was not much TRUE to it really, although I admit there is good to be found in all faiths. I guess I find it interesting that "stand away from" can have so many other add-ons. I always really thought of the banner carrying, ex-dubs writing critical letter, or starting a church type as being Apostate.......but maybe us faders who dont even have any real fault except having good bull$hit dectectors are too..........oompa

APOSTASY (from the Insight book) This term in Greek (a·po·sta·si´a) comes from the verb a·phi´ste·mi, literally meaning "stand away from." The noun has the sense of "desertion, abandonment or rebellion." (Ac 21:21, ftn) In classical Greek the noun was used to refer to political defection, and the verb is evidently employed in this sense at Acts 5:37, concerning Judas the Galilean who "drew off" (a·pe´ste·se, form of a·phi´ste·mi) followers. The Greek Septuagint uses the term at Genesis 14:4 with reference to such a rebellion. However, in the Christian Greek Scriptures it is used primarily with regard to religious defection; a withdrawal or abandonment of the true cause,worship, and service of God, and hence an abandonment of what one has previously professed and a total desertion of principles or faith. (end quote)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Like any other term in the "theocratic vocabulary", "apostate" means whatever the Watchtower says it means right here, right now, in this particular situation. It might say one thing in the Insight Book, but they'll use a whole other definition if it suits them.

They admit the FDS isn't perfect, they make mistakes. But from their standpoint, it's THEIR job to define "truth" and it's the flock's job to accept and obey it. If you show signs of not accepting it, then you're apostate.

Have they asked you, "Do you believe Jehovah is using the Faithful and Discreet Slave to guide his people today?", or words to that effect? As I recall, that's a key question they are supposed to ask when they suspect someone of apostasy. In my experience, the only right answer is "YES!" Anything less counts as a "no".

Good luck!

Dave

• dinah
    dinah

Oompa, I really dislike that word "apostate". It is just my opinion, but disagreeing with a few men on biblical matters doesn't make you apostate. It is just another hateful label the witnesses throw around to maintain control of the masses.

You shouldn't feel like an apostate, Oompa. That is just a name they are calling you. They remind me of schoolyard bullies.

Hang in there. I love reading your posts. I get your humor. Stay strong.

• slmdf
    slmdf

oompa -

I SO dislike the word apostate. I never want to be "labeled" one because I know the heartfelt hatred JW's have for 'them' and I don't want to be thought of that way by anyone. I still love and care about many individual JW's.

But, if you've read Crisis of Conscience - ANYTHING, even if it's just one thing that you believe different from 'current teachings' makes you apostate. You don't even have to share it. Just BELIEVING something different makes you "stand away" from the current 'truth'. So, as has been said, you won't win this one. If that's where they're going.... be very careful, my friend. They'll lynch you faster than you can say 'tunaboat'.

• dinah
    dinah

That "current truth" phrase cracks me up. Truth is truth and does not change. Headquarters could be called apostates themselves just for changing their minds so much. Changes in doctrines, blood fractions, new light on this and that -- is NOT truth. That is someone's whim of interpretation.

• oompa
    oompa

The elders are REALLY laying off me....no questions really for months...never the IS FDS GOD ON EARTH $hit. I have also not TOTALLY DESERTED MY PRINCIPLES of FAITH but might soon........oompa

• slmdf
    slmdf

I know, right? Truth is truth, isn't it? It's funnier the more you think about it. LOL

• zack
    zack

The WTS can't even be original in defining their own theology. "Present Truth" is used by many religions who believe that they too have God's power of revelation.

It is all so much horsehit.

As for apostacy, the answer they give in the Insight Book is a far cry from the the definition they give us in the flock book. An adherent must beleive everything that the WTS teaches, in their words, "beleifs that are particular to jehovah's witnesses." If you don't believe it, you're apostate. Funny thing, most witnesses DO NOT believe everything the WTS teaches and many have no clue what they teach at any given time about a particular subject.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

try a little harder and one day you'll start to feel it ;)

• dawg
    dawg

I agree with you Zack, we had a sister whom which I told that the making of the earth in 6 days wasn't literal... and she said, I kid you not she said, "Oh, is that what we believe now?" WHat the hell? "Is that what we believe now?" Thus we see the mindset of those that follow men, lying men at that whom sole purpose is controling lives. Sad isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit